NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS is the prime-time news magazine show for New Mexico PBS covering the events, issues and people shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest.
Hosted by Gene Grant, NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the “news of the moment.”
NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS regularly airs at 7 p.m., Fridays and 7 a.m., Sundays on Channel 5, and 5 p.m., Saturdays on Channel 9.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS online at www.newmexicopbs.org.
NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS – July 13 & 15:
- The economy is front and center on NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS this week, as The Line panel looks at recent job losses in New Mexico and what kinds of policies can turn the state around. The arrival of Bendix/King in Albuquerque has been tempered by Schott Solar’s shutdown and layoffs at HP.
- NMIF goes to the Santa Fe International Folk Art Market for a lesson in how to impact the global economy. Now in its ninth year, the market will bring in more than two million dollars in sales, 90 percent of which returns to artists from countries around the world.
- The Line also keeps up with the recent debate over open government. Should elected officials be allowed to skirt transparency laws by using personal emails to discuss official business? And of course the opinion panel discusses the week’s headlines “on the clock.”
- Conservative commentator and editor of the National Review Online, Jonah Goldberg, sits down to assess the stormy political climate and whether or not “compromise” should be a dirty word.
- Jonah Goldberg, Editor, National Review Online
- Charlene Cerny, Founder, Santa Fe International Folk Art Market
- Julia Mutale, Hipego Ltd., Zambia
THE LINE Guest Panelists:
- Richard Romero, Former New Mexico Senate President Pro Tempore
THE LINE Panelists:
- Jamie Estrada, Former U.S. Commerce Department Official
- Dan Foley, Former New Mexico House Republican Whip
- Sophie Martin, Editor in Chief, New Mexico Law Review
- Matt Grubs, NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS Producer
- Gene Grant
The Producers of NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS are Matt Grubs and Kathy Wimmer. Funding for this program was provided in part by the McCune Foundation.