The Kiwanis Club of Los Alamos is hosting a Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, May 5th at the Betty Ehart Senior Center from 7 – 11 am. Stop by for a delicious breakfast of eggs, sausage and pancakes before heading over to the lawn at Fuller Lodge for the Los Alamos Arts Council’s Arts and Crafts Fair.
The Los Alamos Arts Council has presented arts and crafts fairs in Los Alamos since 1967. The Kiwanis Club of Los Alamos was founded in January 1948. It is the oldest service organization in Los Alamos.
Rick Reiss and John Arrowsmith prepare pancakes. Courtesy Photo
The cost of the Kiwanis breakfast is $6 for adults, $5 for seniors and $4 for children. Proceeds support the Kiwanis service projects. Los Alamos Kiwanis service projects include:
- Annual scholarships for LAHS graduates
- Senior Appreciation Night Breakfast
- Fourth of July Fireworks
- Providing Science Fair judges and awards
- Sponsored LAHS Key Club since 1949
- Sponsor Builders Club and K Kids
- Community Park renovations
- Breakfast with Santa – Supporting Foster Kids
Local members take seriously the Kiwanis International Vision, which states, “Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world one child and one community at a time.”
The objectives of Kiwanis International spell out in greater detail the ideals that all Kiwanians seek to uphold:
- To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life.
- To encourage the daily living of the Golden Rule in all human relationships.
- To promote the adoption and the application of higher social, business, and professional standards.
- To develop, by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive, and serviceable citizenship.
- To provide, through Kiwanis clubs, a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service, and to build better communities.
- To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and higher idealism which make possible the increase of righteousness, justice, patriotism, and good will.
Kiwanis meets noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesdays at the Masonic Temple on Sage Street near the intersection of 15th Street and Canyon.Road. For more information on the Los Alamos Arts Council visit http://losalamosartscouncil.org/.