“So many New Mexicans give selflessly to improve the quality of life in our communities,” Martinez said. “We want to recognize those who lend their time and talents to make our state safer, cleaner, and more enjoyable for everyone. This program allows us to recognize the efforts of New Mexico’s greatest treasure: our people.”
The New Mexico True Heroes Program launched Tuesday at NewMexico.org/TrueHeroes.
- What makes this person a New Mexico True Hero?; and
- How have the nominee’s efforts made a difference in his or her community?
The 2014 New Mexico True Heroes included:
- John Masterson (Roswell) for his bravery in ceasing a school shooting at Berrendo Middle School;
- Jan DeMaggio (Albuquerque) for her creation of dream bedrooms for children with life-threatening illnesses;
- Chuck Howe (Angel Fire) for his work in aiding veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; and
- Jim Stogsdill (Albuquerque) for the advocacy and protection he and his group provide for children in abusive or intimidating situations.
“We are proud that this is turning into a great, annual event and we’re excited to be a part of the New Mexico True Heroes program,” Jeff Siembieda, Gildan New Mexico Bowl executive director said. “We look forward to recognizing and honoring some our state’s most amazing people annually at the Gildan New Mexico Bowl, New Mexico’s premier annual sporting event.”