High Desert Discovery District (HD3)―
New Mexico’s first privately-led high technology start-up accelerator (www.hddd.org
announces the formation of a new angel investment group, the High Desert Angels.
The organization also announced the HD3 Board of Directors for the 2015-2017 term.
“For some time, HD3 has debated the most productive way to provide HD3 innovators, entrepreneurs and start-ups access to seed, early stage and growth capital. Given the quantity and quality of angel and super angel-capacity individuals connected to HD3 throughout New Mexico and beyond, we have decided to formalize into a more structured and regular approach,” said Gregory Edwards, newly-appointed member of the Board of Governors to the High Desert Angels.
Start-ups and innovators access HD3 through referral and through its signature program Discovery Day―held 3-4 times per year throughout New Mexico.
The most promising opportunities that come out of Discovery Day who seek acceleration through HD3, and may also be seeking funding, may opt to go forward to present to the High Desert Angels; the angels will convene up to three times per year around the state.
More mature start-ups will have the opportunity to present to the angels for follow-on funding once per year. The High Desert Angels will be governed by an appointed board of governors and will act as a sister organization to HD3.
HD3 2015-2017 Board of Directors:
- Dr. Larry Stolarczyk, Founder and CEO of Stolar Mining and appointed member of the Technology Research Collaborative (Raton);
- Dr. Viswanath Krishnamoorthy, President and CEO of Qynergy (Albuquerque);
- Bernarr Treat, Farm and Ranch Manager, Armstrong Energy Corporation and Chairman, New Mexico Beef Council (Roswell);
- Lavi Malhotra, serial entrepreneur (Santa Fe);
- Dennis Garcia, Sr. Vice President, Treasury, US Bank (Albuquerque);
- Kent Cravens, entrepreneur, oil and gas professional and policy lobbyist (Albuquerque);
- Dr. Charles Call, serial entrepreneur (Albuquerque);
- Randy Pacheco, Dean, San Juan Energy College and Four Corners Innovation (Farmington); and
- Michelle Miller, Founder and CEO, HD3 (Santa Fe).
- Ex-Officio Members include Colin Cumming and Gregory Edwards.
The High Desert Discovery District (HD3) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization committed to identifying and commercializing technology projects in New Mexico. HD3 manages and drives the process of innovation―building New Mexico growth companies based on cutting-edge national laboratory, university research and other discoveries lead by technologists and scientists unassociated with labs or universities.
HD3 provides a forum and a methodology for entrepreneurs, scientists, innovators and technologists to be heard and their discovery to be understood by a highly-experienced group of business strategists, successful entrepreneurs and management executives and investors seeking to contribute their own knowledge and experience toward the improvement of the New Mexico entrepreneurial economy.
Once a promising, market-validated discovery is identified, HD3 accelerates the discovery and sits in “in the trenches” with the innovators and entrepreneurs to drive it toward progress and successful outcomes. In 2015, HD3 founded the High Desert Angels, its sister organization to finance New Mexico start-ups. HD3―the difference between a start-up that starts … and a start-up that succeeds.