NEW MEXICO PBS’ PUBLIC AFFAIRS SERIES “NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS”
Airs at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31 on Ch. 5.1
The program repeats 5 p.m. Saturday on Ch.9.1 and 7 a.m. Sunday on Ch. 5.1
This week on NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS, the Republican National Convention in Tampa has taken center stage in the political world. NMIF checks in with Gov. Susana Martinez from the convention, gathering her thoughts on its highpoints and on her prime-time speech Wednesday. The Line opinion panel will analyze Martinez’s performance. Panel regular and RNC delegate Jamie Estrada reports back from the convention hall.
Women’s rights activist Martha Burk begins a new series for the election season as she speaks with NMIF about the overtures being made by Republicans and Democrats to women. What issues resonate most with women? And where has each party met with success and failure as they try to court the female vote?
New Mexico is set to host the International Symposium on Electronic Art this fall. The event is a major coup for New Mexico’s art scene. ISEA was last hosted by Istanbul, and will be hosted in the future by Sydney and Dubai. NMIF will speak to some of the team that brought ISEA here, and talk about events to come, including a day dedicated to the connection between technology, art and education.
The Line also examines the political reshuffling taking place after congressional candidate Michelle Lujan Grisham resigned her post as a Bernalillo County Commissioner. Then, the panel goes on the clock to discuss the rest of the week’s headlines.
- Susana Martinez, Governor of New Mexico
- Martha Burk, National Council of Women’s Organizations
- Agnes Chavez, ISEA 2012 Education Program Director
- Nicholas Chiarella, ISEA 2012 Education Program Coordinator
- Suzanne Sbarge, ISEA 2012 Executive Producer
THE LINE Panelists:
- Jamie Estrada, Former U.S. Commerce Department Official
- Dan Foley, Former NM House Republican Whip
- Rob Nikolewski, Editor, Capitol Report New Mexico
- Laura Sanchez, Attorney
- John Wertheim, Former NM Democratic Party Chairman
Correspondent: Matt Grubs
Host/Commentator: Gene Grant
The producers of NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS are Matt Grubs and Kathy Wimmer. Funding for this program was provided in part by the McCune Foundation.