Atomic City Transit will implement a number of route and schedule changes beginning May 24 to better serve riders.
A draft of the revised route map and schedules can be viewed at www.AtomicCityTransit.com.
These upcoming changes also will be discussed at the Transportation Board Meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 2 in the Public Works Conference Room, 2101 Trinity Dr., Suite A2.
Basic hours of operation will remain Monday through Friday from approximately 5:45 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The following summary, as well as a revised route map, is provided. For questions or trip planing assistance, contact Atomic City Transit at 661-RIDE:
Click HERE for larger map.
- Routes are being renumbered to simplify use. Routes 1, 2, and 3, will all serve the downtown area in some capacity. Route 2 also serves White Rock. Routes 4, 5, and 6 will serve the neighborhoods in Los Alamos.
- Peak service on all routes will now run every 30 minutes instead of the current 20/40 minute split.
- White Rock service will be enhanced by restructuring Routes 2 and 5 into one new Route 2.
- This route will provide service approximately every 15 minutes during peak hours in White Rock and every 30 minutes all day.
- The new route will circulate White Rock in a clockwise direction reducing confusion of which side of the street to wait on.
- All trips will go to the Transit Center, however every trip will alternate between the Main Hill and the Truck Route.
- Buses utilizing the Main Hill will be designated 2M.
- Buses utilizing the Truck Route will be designated 2T
- A new Route 3 will begin serving the Central/Canyon area, providing enhanced service to the Senior Condominiums and University of New Mexcio Student Housing. During the 2013 construction season, this route will use Myrtle St. as a detour.
- Fixed-route service to Pajarito Acres will be discontinued. Dial-a-Ride service, which is open to the general public on a same day basis based on availability, will continue in Pajarito Acres. Riders may also park at the new White Rock Visitor Center in order to utilize the new Route 2M & 2T.
- Route 2M will serve the airport on demand. Passengers will need to let the driver know if they are traveling to the airport or call 661-RIDE (7433) to request a Route 2M pick-up from the airport.
- Routes traveling along Diamond Drive are now every 10 minutes during peak hours and every 20 minutes throughout the entire day.
- All trips between Route 2M White Rock and Route 6 North Mesa will arrive at the Transit Center within close time proximity, allowing for transfers, so White Rock students can travel to and from the Middle School. All trips traveling to the Transit Center will have a connection to downtown Los Alamos, either through Route 1, 2, or 3.
- The Bandelier Shuttle Service will also begin operating on May 24, 2013 and run through mid-October, 2013. During this timeframe, Bandelier will operate as a “car-free park” from 9am to 3pm each day with the exception of tour buses and those with handicapped parking permits. Bandelier visitors should park at the White Rock Visitor Center and utilize the shuttle to access the park. The Bandelier Route schedule is posted at www.AtomicCityTransit.com