Y Camp activities. Courtesy/YMCA
Los Alamos –The Family YMCA is offering Y Camp to give kids and teens an adventurous, active and healthy summer.
Our Y Camp offers youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Nearly 50 percent of U.S. parents say technological distractions, such as television, cell phones or video games make it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle for their children, according to the latest findings of the YMCA’s Family Health Snapshot, a survey that gauges children’s activity levels during the school year.
With more free time in summer, ensuring that kids practice healthy habits could be a greater challenge. The Y encourages parents to help their kids unplug from technology and explore all that Y Camp has to offer.
“Attending Y Camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active,” says Janine Morales, Childcare Director. “When at Y Camp, kids get to learn, take on new responsibilities, gain independence, and develop essential social skills and new relationships. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp so that every child can benefit from the experience.”
Here are five reasons why children and teens should attend Y Camp:
- ADVENTURE: Y Camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences. Visit www.laymca.org for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Y Camp offers fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: Youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
- NEW FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp science, arts & crafts, sports, build-it, cooking and weekly field trips, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships.
- MEMORIES: Y Camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of stories to share!
To ensure that all youth have the chance to experience Y Camp, we offer financial assistance to those in need.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for nearly 130 years.
The Family YMCA at 15th Street and Iris, continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
For more information, visit www.laymca.org or call 662-3100.