As wildfire season begins, residents are urged to attend an informational event called “Wildfire 2015” 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 4 in Fuller Lodge.
The event is sponsored by the Los Alamos Fire Department, in partnership with several local agencies:
- National Park Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- Valles Caldera National Preserve
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Los Alamos County Emergency Management
- Interagency Wildfire Management Team
Displays and information include:
- An opportunity to register your cell phone and e-mail addresses with Los Alamos County Emergency Management for emergency notifications from the County
- Information on Defensible Space, Fire Wise and Ready, Set, Go! Programs – learn how to make your home defendable in the event of a wildfire
- Information from Bandelier, USFS and the Valles Calderas National Preserve on what is accessible and plans for the upcoming months for hiking, camping, and activities in their respective areas
- Fire-fighting apparatus, such as personal protective equipment used by firefighters in the field, will be on public display with LAFD crews demonstrating its use
- Fire/Rescue/Medic Units from LAFD on display
- USFS will have their new Type 4 engine on display
In addition, Smokey Bear and Sparky the Fire Dog will be on hand to greet children!