ALBUQUERQUE — Walmart announced it expects to remodel seven stores across New Mexico this fiscal year, as well as roll out several in-store and online innovations designed to help busy customers save time and money.
Walmart recently reported solid comp sales growth of 2.1 percent (excluding fuel) for the company’s first quarter ending April 27, 2018, indicating customers are responding well to the company’s business strategy. The plan is to continue improving stores and accelerating innovation to make shopping faster and easier for customers across the state.
“Our store remodels show confidence in and commitment to the communities we serve,” said Paula Ginnett, a Walmart vice president and regional manager. “We have also introduced Online Grocery Pickup, Pickup Towers and other innovations in many remodels for added convenience, and that has made a difference to our New Mexico customers.”
2018 Walmart Remodels in New Mexico
Walmart is remodeling stores in the following locations this fiscal year across the state:
- Roswell [completed]
- Gallup [completed]
- Silver City
- Rio Rancho
- Deming [completed]
“Walmart’s investment in New Mexico stores will boost economic development and provide opportunities at the statewide level,” said Allison Smith, Interim President of NM Association of Commerce and Industry (NMACI). “New Mexico continues to be an attractive place for investment and Walmart’s stores demonstrate that our state is moving forward.”
2018 Walmart In-Store and Online Innovations in New Mexico
Walmart continues to innovate how it serves customers, helping them save time and money by creating a seamless shopping experience that empowers customers to shop when, where and how they want.
In addition to continuing to test new technologies that transform how customers shop, Walmart plans to expand several innovative services that deliver greater convenience and faster services, including:
(1) Online Grocery Pickup
- New Mexico customers can order Walmart groceries online and pick them up without ever having to unbuckle their seatbelts. The service is free and prices through Walmart Online Grocery are the same as in-store.
- Walmart currently offers Grocery Pickup at nine New Mexico stores. Walmart plans to expand Grocery Pickup to approximately 11 additional stores across the state this fiscal year.
- Walmart Online Grocery Pickup — How it works.
(2) Walmart Pickup Towers
- Much like a high-tech vending machine, the Walmart Pickup Tower allows customers to pick up their online orders in less than a minute by scanning a bar code sent to their smartphone. To use the tower, customers simply choose from millions of items available on Walmart.com and select the Pickup option at checkout.
- Pickup Tower service is currently available at two New Mexico Walmart stores. Walmart plans to expand our Pickup Tower service to five additional stores across the state this fiscal year.
- Walmart Pickup Tower– How it works.