- Coverage Begins Feb. 1
STATE – Today marks the second Open Enrollment deadline for the 2015 Health Insurance Marketplace. For coverage starting Feb. 1, it is important for people to sign-up today.
“As of Jan. 9, 40,972 New Mexicans signed up for coverage and have access to quality, affordable health coverage for 2015, through the Health Insurance Marketplace,” said Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). “There are just over four weeks before the Feb. 15 deadline and the end of Open Enrollment. For those who are thinking about getting health coverage, take a look at your options on HealthCare.gov or contact the call center. If you don’t enroll by Feb. 15, then you may have to wait until next year to sign up for affordable coverage. In the first month, 73 percent of New Mexico consumers who signed up were eligible for financial assistance.”
Since Open Enrollment began on Nov. 15, nearly 6.8 million consumers selected a plan or were automatically re-enrolled in the Federally Facilitated Marketplace. As we near this week’s deadline, officials from HHS are available for print, radio and television interviews. Satellite TV interviews are also available. To request an interview with an official from HHS, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Five facts about the second Open Enrollment deadline are:
- Open Enrollment is ending soon. The deadline to apply for coverage starting on Feb. 1, 2015, is this Thursday, Jan. 15. The Open Enrollment deadline to sign up for 2015 coverage is Feb. 15. If people miss that deadline, they will likely have to wait to sign up for coverage until the next open enrollment season, with coverage starting in 2016.
- Enrolling in coverage is easier than ever. This year, the consumer experience at HealthCare.gov simpler, faster, and more intuitive. It is easy to shop; no log-in or application is required to see the plans in your area and to find out how much financial help may be available. We streamlined this year’s application, reducing the number of screens people need to click through from 76 to 16. You can even apply on your smartphone.
- More choices are available this year. More than 90 percent of consumers will be able to choose from three or more issuers—up from 74 percent in 2014. That means that consumers can choose from an average of 40 health plans in their county for 2015 coverage—up from 30 in 2014.
- Financial assistance is available. 73 percent of New Mexicans who selected 2015 plans through HealthCare.gov in the first month of open enrollment are getting financial assistance to lower their premiums. 85 percent of New Mexicans can find coverage for $100 or less a month with tax credits through the Marketplace. That is less than some people pay for a cell phone or cable bill.
- Help is available. We are working to meet consumers where they are: online, over the phone or in person.
Online: Information is available at HealthCare.gov or CuidadoDeSalud.gov.
By Phone: Marketplace call center representatives are available to help all day, every day at 1.800.318.2596. TTY users should call 1.855.889.4325. Assistance is available in 150 languages. The call is free.
In person: Consumers can find local help at by visiting: Localhelp.healthcare.gov
About the Health Insurance Marketplace:
Open Enrollment for the Health Insurance Marketplace for 2015, began Nov. 15, 2014, and runs through Feb. 15, 2015. Consumers should visit HealthCare.gov to review and compare health plan options and find out if they are eligible for financial assistance, which can help pay monthly premiums and reduce out-of-pocket costs when receiving services.
To sign up for individual and family coverage, visit: https://www.healthcare.gov/apply-and-enroll/.
For more information about Health Insurance Marketplaces, visit: www.healthcare.gov/marketplace.