Editor’s Note: The survey is now closed. The results will be available shortly.
During meeting’s on Tuesday May 15 and Wednesday May 16, the Los Alamos County Council will discuss which proposed Phase II Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) will be funded and allowed to move forward and which will not.
In the following survey, the Los Alamos Daily Post is asking readers to rank the order in which they would like to see the unfunded Phase II CIP projects completed.
The option, “Do not proceed” is provided for projects the reader does not want to see funded by Los Alamos County.
Results of the survey will be published in the Los Alamos Daily Post and forwarded to the Los Alamos County Council before its May 15 meeting.
The list of potential projects includes:
- White Rock Civic Center [$16M] – To provide White Rock with a multifunctional Civic Center to house a branch library, senior and youth centers, community meeting spaces and police substation.
- Golf Course Improvements [$9.7M] – Rebuilding the greens, tees, bunkers and re-grassing the entire course while maintaining trail access.
- Teen Center [$8.9M] – To provide teens with a safe place to bond with peers, adults and pursue healthy, positive recreational, social, cultural and educational opportunities.
- Ashley Pond Improvements [$2.2M] – Recommended health and safety improvements to the water quality of the pond, ADA compliance for walkways and enhanced recreational opportunities.
- Ice Rink Locker Rooms [$1.3M] – The new 2,520-square-foot building will house locker rooms with dedicated space for female and male patrons. Also, the addition and upgrade of restrooms will allow for an increase in the number of children enrolled in Bear Camp, which has been limited in the past due to the number of existing restrooms.
- Nature Center [$4.7M] – To provide a nature center for educational opportunities, recreation and awareness of Los Alamos’s natural beauty, open space, trail system, abundant wildlife, mountain vistas and promote environmental sustainability.
- Ice Rink Parking Lot [$245k] – Provides for safety lighting, an expanded parking area and a guard rail at the Ice Rink. Also addresses ADA compliance issues.
- Ice Rink Lift Station [$252k] – Upgrade the sewage system to accommodate the usage at the Rink and the remodeling of the bathrooms. A new lift station will replace the holding tank.
- Ice Rink Cover [$3.5k] – To provide for a permanent or retractable cover over the ice as a shelter from the sun and inclement weather.
- Aquatic Center Leisure Pool [$6.1M] – A warm-water, indoor children and adult leisure pool that will be integrated within the Larry R. Walkup Aquatic Center.
- Community Broadband Network Design [$60M] – The FY2009 adopted budget of $550,000 was established to provide a conceptual design of an expansion to County network infrastructure. The project should provide for a conceptual design study that will meet planned County government communication needs and be capable of providing the foundation for an open access network delivering advanced broadband communications to all Los Alamos citizens, should such a network be created by future Council action.
- Public Safety Radio System [$10M] – Study for a County integrated radio system including public safety, County operations and schools.
- White Rock Gateway Structure [$500k] – Project to design and erect a gateway in White Rock, e.g. an obelisk, arches or sculptural monuments, at either end of N.M. 4 in White Rock (the vicinity of the intersection between Rover Boulevard and N.M. 4 and also at the vicinity of the intersection between Pajarito Road and N.M. 4.)
It just takes a moment to rank the unfunded Phase II CIP projects and those participating must have a Facebook account in order to take the survey.
Click HERE to begin.
Editor’s Note: This is the first survey conducted by the Los Alamos Daily Post … other survey formats and procedures are being examined for future use … reader feedback is encouraged.