Despite recent scattered rain showers, the Santa Fe National Forest and Valles Caldera National Preserve entered Stage 1 fire restrictions at 8 a.m.Tuesday, May 14, due to extreme/exceptional drought conditions and high fire danger.
The Pecos Wilderness and San Pedro Parks Wilderness areas are exempt from Stage I fire restrictions. Devices solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuel that can be turned on and off are allowed in areas that are barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device.
During Stage I fire restrictions, the following acts are prohibited:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove; except in Forest Service developed campgrounds and picnic areas where grills and fire rings are provided. Campgrounds with grills and fire rings include:
- Aspen Basin Campground
- Aspen Vista Picnic Area
- Battleship Rock Picnic Area
- Big Tesuque Campground
- Black Canyon Campground
- Clear Creek Campground and Group Campground
- Coyote Canyon Camping Area
- El Porvenir Campground
- Field Tract Campground
- Holy Ghost Campground and Group Campground **(Newly added to list)
- Iron Gate Campground
- Jacks Creek Campground and Group Campground
- Jemez Falls Campground and Day Use Area
- Las Conchas Picnic Area
- Panchuela Campground
- Rio Chama Campground and Group Campground
- Rio de las Vacas Campground
- San Antonio Campground
- Spanish Queen Picnic Area
- Vista Linda Campground
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site/improved site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material
- Possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework, or other pyrotechnic device
Violation of these restrictions are punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, a fine of not more than $5,000 for individuals and $10,000 for organizations, and/or imprisonment for no more than six months.
Forest and Preserve visitors are encouraged to be fire safe and show their commitment to wildfire prevention by going online and taking Smokey’s pledge.