SFCC welcomes the public to a Film Program Open House noon to 3 p.m. Saturday, July 31, at the main campus.
Meet film faculty and industry representatives and learn about the college’s film program, jobs in the industry, see live production demonstrations and learn how to get training and education to prepare for work in the growing film industry.
Learn more about the Film Program. Register for a reminder to attend the open house.
- Noon to 1 p.m. – Presentations in the Campus Center with student testimonials. Confirmed guest speakers: Stagecoach Foundation, Santa Fe Film Office and former SFCC students who are now successful in the industry.
- 1-2 p.m. – Tours leave every 15 minutes. People can mix and mingle with attending presenters when not taking a tour.
- 2-3:15 p.m. – Class demos: Sample classes in Grip, Film Crew, Drone and Editing post- production. These will be 30 minutes each and repeat with a 15-minute break in between.
Cost: Free. Prize giveaways for the first arrivals.
Note: SFCC requires visitors to wear a mask to adhere to COVID protocols.
Additional Facts: Film jobs are on the rise. The New Mexico Film Office reports that openings for film crews are growing – almost double the crew days worked when compared to last year. See this and other New Mexico Film Office statistics. The U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics show an anticipated 18 percent employment gain projected for 2019 to 2029 for Film and Video Editors and Camera Operators as well as the 10 percent employment gain for 2019 to 2029 for Producers and Directors.
SFCC Film Program: SFCC offers many avenues into a film career with certificates that will have you job ready within a year or two, as well as an associate degree that will transfer to the Institute of American Indian Arts and Seattle Film Institute. It’s easy to transfer to these recognized film programs.
Get ahead in just two years. Many classes are offered evenings and weekends to allow students to study while still working full- or part-time. Some classes are online and others meet in-person.
Some of the advantages of SFCC’s film programs:
- SFCC’s faculty members are all working film professionals.
- Check out a camera on day one and start making your film. Many other films school will not let you touch gear until your third year.
- SFCC’s vibrant, hands-on film program offers classes in crew training for the film industry, acting, directing, cinematography, editing and film studies classes.
- SFCC provides you with access to outstanding equipment and facilities including industry standard cameras, lighting, sound and grip gear.
- SFCC has fast, powerful, and comfortable editing suites, a recording studio, a green screen room and a sound stage.
- Earn an Associate of Arts in Film or an Associate in Applied Science in Film in two years.
Some students need more time to complete if they cannot attend full time.
These are the credentials offered as well as a possible timeline to completion:
- Digital Cinematography Certificate – 1 year or 2 Semesters
- Film Production Certificate – 1 year or 2 semesters
- Independent Filmmaking Certificate – 2 years or 4 semesters
- NEW! Film Technicians Training Certificate – 1 semester
- Documentary and Non-Fiction Filmmaking Certificate – 3 semesters
- Post-Production Certificate – 1 year or 2 semesters
Contact: Milton Riess, firstname.lastname@example.org or 505.428.1421.