For over a year now, the people of Saint Job of Pochaiv Orthodox Church have been anticipating a move.
Before this, for years, this congregation has worshipped and grown at the end of small cul-de-sac among the tall pines on Conoco Hill. The golden dome of their church was visible through the tree tops, but they were hidden away.
The “onion” dome, which is a ubiquitous symbol of Slavic Christianity, is not, in actuality, the depiction of an onion. This tear-drop shaped finial is a flame. We are to be the light of the world, calling everyone to the truth in the person of Jesus Christ.
A few years ago the cross on our dome was struck by lightning, splitting the golden covering. Preparing for the move, the cross was shipped back to the manufacturer in Ohio for repairs. Recently it was returned, complete, and last week the cross, dome, and lantern were assembled. The tower is nearing completion and the dome assembly will be mounted this coming week.
Our new home is at 1319 Trinity Dr., behind what used to be the Hill Diner but is now the refurbished Pasta Paradiso. There is a room for both a beautiful temple for worship and a welcoming parish hall for fellowship. A month ago we had the opportunity to get a taste of what the future will hold there. Through the use of a temporary occupancy permit, we held one evening Vespers service, which was followed by an edifying talk from Dr. David Ford on Christian Marriage. We hope to host many more such lectures and other uplifting events for the community, which supports us and for which we continuously pray.
Work has been continuing on the inside of the new building, and with the help of the whole congregation, it is nearing completion. When it is finished, and the dome is in place, our people will process from the church hidden away in the pines, with all our icons, books, furniture, and holy items, to a new, visible, and glowing temple, and truly become a beacon on our hill.
Saint Job of Pochaiv Orthodox Church opening soon at 1319 Trinity Dr. Courtesy photo