RE/MAX of Los Alamos turned 18 this year. The business was started by Realtor Jim Gautier who sold it to Gene and Nancy Mroz in 1999. Current owner Kendra Henning and her husband Paul purchased the business in January 2007.
“I came to work here in 2002 and loved it,” Henning said. “Nancy and Gene announced that they planned to retire and wanted to pass the business on to one of their realtors if possible. I appreciated the business that had been built. I went to my husband Paul and he was excited about the idea of buying the business.”
The office now has 14 realtors on its staff. It’s hard to believe how the time has flown, Henning said. The business has sold nearly 2,000 homes in the last 10 years and been involved in 72 percent of all the homes sold in Los Alamos County, Henning said. So far this year, RE/MAX has been involved in 82 percent of sales and sold 158 homes out of 192 sales in the County.
“While the market has been difficult at times, my group of realtors has persevered,” Henning said. “We’ve had almost no turnover and have a fantastic market share. Even when it’s been tough, it’s been a pleasure to work here every day.”
Henning credits the staff at RE/MAX with the business’ success. Between them, the RE/MAX realtors have 164 for years in real estate and 260 years of residence in Los Alamos.
“Often, real estate is a second career rather than a first,” Henning said. “Past careers of our realtors include a lawyer, a teacher, a nurse, a chemist and a swim coach.” Now that the staff has found their calling, all of the 14 realtors are full-time agents.
“Real estate isn’t about a house, it’s about relationships with people,” Henning said. “It’s about service and the personal touch. It’s very satisfying to help people reach their real estate goals and have a home they enjoy.”
Henning explained that Realtors must be problem solvers and project managers. “This is the biggest investment of most people’s lives and in Los Alamos, they want all the facts,” she said. “We’re held to a higher standard because of the high level of professionalism in Los Alamos. That pushes us to keep up our education and learn new skills. We’re intense about our market data analysis. We spend a lot of time on data so we can provide the science behind the real estate. Real estate is really both an art and a science.”
RE/MAX moved to larger office space at 116 Central Park Square last January.
“We love it here,” Henning said. “It’s very comfortable for our clients and for us.”
In addition to the realtors, RE/MAX employs two administrative staff members, Lila Cameron and Cindy Dutch. “We have the best administrative staff in the world,” Henning said. “They provide fantastic service to our customers and to us.”
Another aspect to the success of Henning’s business is its association with RE/MAX International, Henning said. Each RE/MAX agency operates as a franchise and each realtor at a given agency is an independent contractor, Henning explained. RE/MAX International does business in 85 countries and has approximately 90,000 realtors under its umbrella.
“We get great training, marketing and technology that helps make us high quality realtors,” Henning said. “We have access to a set of tools and resources that others don’t have. The RE/MAX philosophy is one of being in business for yourself, but not by yourself. It works well for us.”
Henning and her staff believe in giving back to the community and are involved in many good causes, both as individuals and as a company.
“Los Alamos is a great town to work in,” Henning said. “Our clients are loyal, well-educated and financially responsible. They’re engaged with the community and their homes are very important to them. I want to thank our clients for their business and their friendship, and let them know that RE/MAX looks forward to many more years of service to Los Alamos home buyers and sellers.”
To learn more about RE/MAX of Los Alamos, visit www.remaxoflosalamos.com.
RE/MAX Fun Facts:
- Current number of RE/MAX Realtors – 14
- RE/MAX office staff – 2
- Number of Years Current RE/MAX Realtors have been Los Alamos Residents – 260
- Number of Years Current RE/MAX Realtors have been Professional Realtors – 164
- 2013 RE/MAX Realtor Involvement in Los Alamos County Home Sales – 82 percent (158 out of 192 homes)
- 10-Year RE/MAX Realtor Involvement in Los Alamos County Home Sales – 72 percent (1984 out of 2752 homes)
- 2011 RE/MAX Southwest Region Outstanding Brokerage, Small Market (our region includes all offices in New Mexico, Nevada and Arizona)
Professional Designations & Awards Held by RE/MAX of Los Alamos Realtors:
- CNE(Certified Negotiations Expert) = 8 Realtors
- CRS (Certified Residential Specialists) = 8 Realtors
- SRES (Seniors Real Estate Specialist) = 4 Realtors
- ABR (Accredited Buyer’s Representative) = 4 Realtors
- CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert) = 7 Realtors
- CLHMS (Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist) = 2 Realtors
- GRI (Graduate of the Realtor Institute) = 2 Realtors
- GREEN/EcoBroker – Green Building, Healthy Environment & Sustainable Business Practices = 2 Realtors
- RE/MAX Hall of Fame Recipients = 8 Realtors
- Leadership Los Alamos Program Graduates = 3
Sampling of RE/MAX of Los Alamos Community Contributions/Sponsorships:
- United Way
- Gordon’s Concert Series
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Children’s Miracle Network
Sampling of RE/MAX Realtor Participation on Local Boards/Committees:
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Leadership Los Alamos
- Los Alamos County Council
- Los Alamos Medical Center
- Los Alamos County EVAT (Economic Vitality Action Team)
- Los Alamos Mainstreet Association