SOCORRO – This week, U.S. Sen. Tom Udall will visit Catron County and Santa Clara Pueblo to examine the destructive long-term effects of last year’s Las Conchasand Wallow fires and their implications for the current record-breaking wildfire season.
Udall will also visit the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (JVLA).
Today, July 2, Udall will travel to the JVLA radio telescope facility near Magdalena.
Udall will tour the site with association directors and scientists and travel up into the interior of an antenna.
Udall will then travel to Spur Ranch in Luna where last year’s Wallow Fire crossed over the Arizona-New Mexico border into Catron County.
On Tuesday, July 3, Udall, along with area ranchers and U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and state forestry personnel, will visit several sites impacted by the Wallow Fire to assess the lessons learned, the status of restoration efforts and the ongoing needs.
On Saturday, July 7, Udall will visit Santa Clara Pueblo to tour areas impacted by the Las Conchas Fire with Santa Clara Pueblo Gov. Walter Dasheno and former Gov. J. Michael Chavarria.
The tour will include a visit to the pueblo’s sediment removal project and high activity tributaries and debris flow.
Last year, the Wallow Fire burned 538,049 acres before it was fully contained July 8, 2011.
The Las Conchas Fire, fully contained Aug. 3, 2011, burned more than 16,000 acres of Santa Clara Pueblo and destroyed much of the pueblo’s watershed when the burned areas flooded.
In New Mexico, the wildfire and monsoon seasons are closely linked and Udall’s tour will emphasize the destructive post-fire effects like flooding that can cause greater long term damage than the fire itself.
As the Whitewater-Baldy and Little Bear wildfires continue to burn, Udall cosponsored legislation to eliminate the 30-day waiting period between purchasing flood insurance and having coverage, a provision that was included in the flood insurance bill recently passed.
Monday, July 2
- WHAT: Udall Tours Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array
- WHEN: 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Very Large Array Visitors Center (60 miles west of Socorro on U.S. 60.) From U.S. 60, turn South on N.M. 52, then West on the VLA access road, JVLA access road/Old Highway 60 W.
Tuesday, July 3
- WHAT: Udall Visits Catron County for Wildfire Tour and Discussion
- WHEN: 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
- WHERE: Spur Ranch in Luna
Wednesday, July 4
- WHAT: Udall Participates in Pancakes on the Plaza
- WHEN: 8 a.m.
- WHERE: Santa Fe Plaza in Santa Fe
- WHAT: Udall Participates in Corrales Parade
- WHEN: 10 a.m.
- WHERE: Corrales
Saturday, July 7
- WHAT: Udall Visits Santa Clara Pueblo for Wildfire Tour
- WHEN: 10 a.m.–12 p.m.
- WHERE: Meet at Puye Cliffs Travel Center, Santa Clara Canyon Road and N.M. 30 in Espanola