NWS News Update:
The National Weather Service (NWS) issued an update to Saturday’s storm predictions:
- A strong storm system with abundant moisture and gusty winds will move slowly over New Mexico. Heavy mountain snow, valley rains and windy conditions are expected.
- Southwest winds will gust up to 55 mph from the central mountain chain eastward across the high plains through late this afternoon.
- Rain with embedded thunderstorms will stream northeast from western NM into central NM. Thunderstorms will have the potential to produce locally gustier winds up to 60 mph along with blowing dust.
- Snow levels today will hover between 7,500 and 9,000 feet across northern and western NM. Wet and slushy snow accumulations are expected.
- Rain will mix with and change to all snow tonight above 6,500 feet. Major high mountain snowfall accumulations are likely through Sunday. Areas above 7,500 feet will pick up 6”-12” with areas above 9,000 feet receiving possibly 18”.
- Moisture will slide over a cold front sagging into the northeast plains tonight and create a mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain.
A significant storm system will move over the area through Sunday. Southwest winds may gust up to 55 mph from the central mountain chain eastward across the high plains. Blowing dust is possible across the plains downwind of White Sands. Rain and high elevation snow today will result in minor accumulations. Rain will change to all snow above 6,500 feet and result in heavy snowfall over the northern and western high terrain above 7,500’, particularly above 9,000 feet. Light to moderate snowfall is possible for other areas of northern and western NM down to near 6,500’ tonight. Total liquid equivalent precipitation amounts on the order of 1-2 inches are expected in the northern and western high terrain, with generally one-tenth to one-half inch in the lower elevations.
- High confidence on wind impacts today
- High confidence on heavy mountain snow through Sunday
- Moderate confidence on snowfall accumulations for the lower elevations through Sunday
- Moderate confidence on mixed precipitation over the northeast plains tonight and Sunday.