University of New Mexico sophomore center Alex Kirk of Los Alamos sinks a basket at a recent Lobos game. Photo by Alan Kirk
COLORADO SPRINGS – New Mexico sophomore center Alex Kirk and Boise State sophomore guard Derrick Marks have been named Mountain West Men’s Basketball Co-Players of the Week for games through March 3.
This is the third career Mountain West weekly accolade for both Marks and Kirk.
A native of Los Alamos, Kirk averaged 20.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 1.5 assists as New Mexico defeated San Diego State and Wyoming to clinch the 2012-13 MW regular-season title.
In Wednesday’s 70-60 win over the Aztecs, Kirk scored a season-high 25 points on 8-of-12 shooting (.667), including 3-of-3 from 3-point range.
The 7-footer also blocked three shots, had three assists and pulled down seven rebounds. Against the Cowboys on Saturday, Kirk was again the Lobos’ high scorer, this time with 15 points.
He also added a team-best nine rebounds and two blocks. Kirk finished the week shooting .560 from the field (14-of-25), including 4-of-6 from 3-point range, and was a perfect 8-for-8 from the free-throw line.
Marks averaged 22.0 points (.600 shooting percentage), 6.0 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 3.0 steals per game as Boise State defeated Conference foes Nevada and Colorado State last week.
A Chicago, Ill., native, Marks scored 33 points and was a perfect 11-for-11 from the field in the second half of the Broncos’ 78-65 home win over the Rams.
He scored 26 of his team’s 28 second-half points, including a stretch of 24 straight. He finished the game with 38 points on 13-of-18 shooting (.722), including a 4-of-7 mark from 3-point range, and also had five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
Against Nevada, Marks dished out a team-high eight assists and also had six points, seven rebounds, four steals and two blocks in the 73-47 home victory.
MW Men’s Basketball Players of the Week:
- Nov. 12 – Colton Iverson, Sr., C, Colorado State
- Nov. 19 – Deonte Burton, Jr., G, Nevada; Tony Snell, Jr., G, New Mexico
- Nov. 26 – Colton Iverson, Sr., C, Colorado State
- Dec. 3 – Derrick Marks, So., G, Boise State
- Dec. 10 – Anthony Bennett, Fr., F, UNLV
- Dec. 17 – Anthony Drmic, So., G/F, Boise State
- Dec. 24 – Pierce Hornung, Sr., F, Colorado State
- Dec. 31 – Alex Kirk, So., C, New Mexico
- Jan. 7 – Leonard Washington, Sr., F, Wyoming
- Jan. 14 – Alex Kirk, So., C, New Mexico; Jamaal Franklin, Jr., G, San Diego State
- Jan. 21 – Dorian Green, Sr., G, Colorado State
- Jan. 28 – JJ O’Brien, So., F, San Diego State
- Feb. 4 – Pierce Hornung, Sr., F, Colorado State
- Feb. 11 – Derrick Marks, So., G, Boise State
- Feb. 18 – Michael Lyons, Sr., G, Air Force
- Feb. 25 – Kendall Williams, Jr., G, New Mexico
- Mar. 4 – Derrick Marks, So., G, Boise State; Alex Kirk, So., C, New Mexico