Los Alamos Police Arrest Man In Barricade Incident

Police respond to an altercation Friday at 3301 Canyon Road in which a man refuses to come out of his apartment. Photo by Carol A. Clark/ladailypost.com

Police at the scene Friday of a man barricaded inside his apartment. Photo by Carol A. Clark/ladailypost.com

LAPD News:

An arrest warrant was issued Saturday for a local man involved in a barricading incident at an apartment complex early Friday evening in Los Alamos.

Mark Henins

Police arrested Mark Henins, 48, without incident Saturday and charged him with assault and criminal damage to property.

The charges stem from a situation in which officers responded to a call at 6 p.m. Friday of a verbal assault that escalated to criminal damage to property in progress at the Caballo Peak Apartments at 3301 Canyon Road.

Patrol units arrived at the scene and observed a broken window at one of the apartments. Officers conducted an investigation, which led to Henins who was inside an apartment. They knocked on the door and observed Henins through an open window and asked him to come out and speak with them. 

Deputy Police Chief Jason Wardlow Herrera, left, with officers leaving the scene late Friday afternoon . Photo by Carol A. Clark/ladailypost.com

Through the open window officers observed Henins retrieving something from a bedroom and identified the item as a firearm. Police issued verbal commands to Henins but he fled to an interior room of the apartment and would not comply with the officer’s commands. 

Several more officers responded to the scene including a trained LAPD negotiator. Repeated attempts to establish communications with Henins resulted in limited success. Eventually an officer was able to speak with Henins through an open window and he finally agreed to exit the residence without the firearm.  

Henins was taken into custody and transported by Los Alamos Fire Department paramedics to Los Alamos Medical Center for evaluation. The firearm turned out to be a pellet/ BB gun. 

During the incident, which lasted until about 8 p.m., police temporarily closed down Canyon Road and evacuated neighbors in units near the barricaded apartment.