Los Alamos County Stage I Fire Restrictions After consulting with Los Alamos National Laboratory, and in cooperation with the Santa Fe National Forest, the Los Alamos Fire Department has announced that Los Alamos County will enter into Stage I Fire Restrictions, effective immediately.
Under Stage I Fire Restrictions, the following acts are prohibited until further notice:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using an open fire, campfire, charcoal or wood stove on all Los Alamos County lands. (See first exemption below for additional details.)
- Smoking is prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least 3-feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
Stage I Exemptions:
- Developed campgrounds with metal grills using charcoal or propane are acceptable on North Mesa campgrounds, Camp May, Overlook Park and at any park within the Los Alamos County proper, to also include all residential property within Los Alamos County. The Los Alamos County Fire Department urges the public to take every precaution necessary on all properties to prevent a fire.
- Persons with a written permit from the State Forestry Office 505.476.3353 or LAFD Fire Marshal’s Office 505.662.8305 that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
- Any Federal, State, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
Any exemption does not absolve an individual or organization from liability or responsibility for any fire started by the exempted activity.