At the Oct. 4 Los Alamos County Council meeting, Councilors gave the Dekker Perich Sabatini (DPS) team new directives for the proposed capital improvement projects. Their directives follow the Sept. 20 County Council work session and input from residents and businesses.
The directives include:
- Los Alamos County staff should move forward with design concepts for two of the Economic Development projects – 20th Street extension and Deacon Street improvements. Staff should establish a project budget of $1.3 million for the 20th Street extension and $2.1 million for the Deacon Street improvements.
- The DPS team will analyze bothParcel A-8 and the Pueblo Complex as potential sites for a Recreation Center &Indoor Ice Rink complex. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $14 million. The Council also decided North Mesa and the Aquatic Center will no longer be considered sites for the Recreation Center and Indoor Ice Rink.
- Revisit the costs associated with the multi-generational pool at the Aquatic Center. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $8 million.
- Update the concept and estimate for the Piñon Park Splash pad. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $700,000.
- Evaluate Mesa Field by Los Alamos High School as a potential site for four or five tennis courts. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $500,000. Based on public input, Overlook Park, Urban Park, North Mesa and Western Area Park will no longer be considered for tennis courts.
- For the existing outdoor ice rink on West Road, pursue the costs for a vertical shading device and upgrades to locker rooms, restrooms and support space. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $1.1 million.
- Revisit the cost assumptions for golf course improvements. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $5 million.
- Revisit the cost assumptions for softball field improvements at Overlook Park and provide safe road crossing to facilitate access to concessions instead of building a new concession facility. The budget should not exceed and may be up to $1 million. Remove from consideration a new multi-use field on North Mesa.
- Staff should suspend further consideration of DP Road Improvements/Parcel A-8 improvements until other Council goals can be completed such as the approval of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Remove from consideration a water feature at Ashley Pond.
The next opportunities for public input and information is at a Town Hall meeting 5:30-8 p.m., Nov. 17 at Fuller Lodge.
The DPS presentation from the Sept. 20 work session is available athttps://www.losalamosbondprojects2017.com/newsroom/
DPS will give its next report to the County Council at the Nov. 29 meeting. More information is available at losalamosbondprojects2017. Questions and comments also may be emailed directly to email@example.com.