Rep. Sarah Maestas Barnes
SANTA FE – Legislation that would require child-proof packaging for all nicotine liquid products used in e-cigarettes passed the House floor Wednesday by a unanimous vote of 66-0. This bill will help protect New Mexico’s children from accidentally ingesting and overdosing on nicotine.
“Today was an important step to protect our children,” said Rep. Sarah Maestas Barnes, R-Bernalillo, the bill’s sponsor. “The risk of nicotine overdose is extremely high if it falls into the wrong hands. As a mother of two young children, it is an issue that we need to act on as soon as possible.”
To enforce these new rules, the Attorney General — who is in support of this legislation — will have the ability to pursue a civil action; there would also be a fine of up to $1,000 for failing to comply with the law.
“The State Senate should vote on this bill as soon as possible,” Maestas Barnes said.
Even just one teaspoon of nicotine could be fatal. Recently, a toddler from New York died after accidentally drinking liquid nicotine from a glass bottle that did not have a child proof cap