Several of the LAYL members who worked on the bonfire project from left, Melissa Teter, Rachel Wallstrom, Mikayla Pullium, Cory Carnes, Esteban Abeyta, Cottrell Fox, and Ethan Clements. Courtesy photo
As fall approaches, so do the homecoming celebrations! These hectic seven days, full of dances, parades, and football games are also packed with crazy spirit days, and fun activities.
Los Alamos Youth Leadership (LAYL) is proud to bring the community the annual homecoming bonfire! Scheduled for Monday, Sept. 30, everyone is welcome to stop by, support the football team, and roast s’mores while enjoying a nice evening full of music and Topper spirit. The event will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. in the Sullivan Field parking lot and won’t go past 9:30 p.m. The wonderful Los Alamos Fire Department and Chief Troy Hughes will be standing by, to ensure everyone’s safety at the bonfire.
The Topper football team will be playing the heated Homecoming game against Albuquerque Academy at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4. Earlier that afternoon the homecoming parade will take place at 2:30 p.m. in downtown Los Alamos.
If one were to walk into Los Alamos High during the week of Sept. 30 through Oct. 4, they’d be dazzled by the spirit wear of the students and staff. Here is a brief schedule of spirit days, and sporting events for Homecoming week at the High School:
- Monday: Crazy hat and hair day, 4:30 p.m. JV Football vs. Hope Christian at Sullivan Field, 7:30 p.m. Bonfire
- Tuesday: Superhero day (but remember … no masks), 3 p.m. Boys Varsity Soccer vs. Volcano Vista at Volcano Vista High, 4 p.m. Girls JV Soccer vs. Volcano Vista at Sullivan Field, 4:45 p.m. Boys JV soccer vs. Volcano Vista at Volcano Vista High, 6 p.m. Girls Varsity Soccer vs. Volcano Vista at Sullivan Field.
- Wednesday: Twin day, 4 p.m. Girls C team Volleyball vs. Bernalillo High at Bernalillo High School, 5 p.m. Girls JV Volleyball vs. Bernalillo High at Bernalillo High School, 6 p.m. Girls Varsity Volleyball vs. Bernalillo High at Bernalillo High School
- Thursday: Class Day—Freshmen: Hawaiian, Sophomore: Country Day, Juniors: Cowboy/Cowgirl, Seniors: Hippies, 4 p.m. Boys JV Soccer vs. Sandia at Sullivan Field, 4 p.m. Girls C team Volleyball vs. Albuquerque Academy at Griffith Gym, 5 p.m. Girls JV Volleyball vs. Albuquerque Academy at Griffith Gym, 6 p.m. Girls Varsity Volleyball vs. Albuquerque Academy at Griffith Gym, 6 p.m. Boys Varsity vs. Sandia at Sullivan Field, 6:30 pm Girls JV Soccer vs. La Cueva High at APS Soccer Complex, 6:30 p.m. Girls Varsity Soccer vs. La Cueva at APS Soccer Complex.
- Friday: Green and Gold day, Homecoming Parade at 2:30 p.m. in downtown Los Alamos followed at 7 p.m. with the Homecoming Football game (Varsity Boys Football vs. Albuquerque Academy at Sullivan Field), TBA Girls and Boys Varsity Cross Country Twilight Festival, AZ
- Saturday: Homecoming Dance, Rio Grande HS Novice Congress Debate Tournament at Rio Grande High School, 11 a.m. Girls Varsity Soccer vs. Capital at Capital High School, 11 a.m. Girls C team Volleyball vs. Santa Fe at Santa Fe High School, noon Girls JV Volleyball vs. Santa Fe at Santa Fe High School, 1 p.m. Girls Varsity Volleyball vs. Santa Fe at Santa Fe High School, 1 p.m. Boys Varsity Soccer vs. Capital at Capital High School, TBA Boys and Girls C-Team Cross Country vs. Santa Fe Indian (Santa Fe Indian School), TBA Boys and Girls JV Cross Country vs. Santa Fe Indian School (Santa Fe Indian School)
The LAYL program for high school students eager to help out their community started in 2005, and is sponsored by Los Alamos National Bank (LANB), Juvenile Justice Advisory Board (JJAB), and the Family YMCA. The group of 30 students this year is split into three teams.
Organizing this year’s bonfire is Teamtastic headed by Michelangelo Lovato, Morrie Pongratz, and Sue Wilson who are happily leading Esteban Abeyta, Connor Bailey, Cory Carnes, Ethan Clements, Hannah Cunningham, Cottrell Fox, Mitchell Lee, Mikayla Pulliam, Melissa Teter, and Rachel Wallstrom.
Come join LAYL, the fall coaches and athletes, cheerleaders, marching band members, and Los Alamos High School students at the thrilling bonfire event at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 30. This event will kick off a spirited homecoming week at Los Alamos High School.