FOOD DEPOT News:
SANTA FE — The Food Depot is joining with Feeding America and food banks across the United States for Hunger Action Month, a time to come together to help provide healthy meals for our communities.
Everyone needs nutritious food to thrive and in every community in America, people are working hard to provide for themselves and their families. Yet, The Food Depot needs your support as demand for emergency food services is higher than ever. In FY 22-23, Northern New Mexico’s food bank distributed 8 million meals, 660,000 meals a month, to communities across a 26,000-mile service area.
“There are people going without in our community,” shares Deputy Director Jill Dixon. “We can all make this better together. For the sake of a food secure future, we must all take action. In September, we are challenging people to take action around Casita de Comida, our no-cost market in Española. Every dollar donated this month will be triple matched. Help us reach our $150,000 goal and provide healthy food for this innovative, choice-based program.”
Every action, big or small, is one step closer to a New Mexico where no one is hungry. At The Food Depot, we believe our collective voices, actions and commitment will help ensure every community has access to the food it needs to flourish.
To support a food secure future for all communities, The Food Depot invites everyone to get involved and join the movement to end hunger. Explore the many ways to learn, donate, advocate, and volunteer in September at thefooddepot.org/
Learn about food insecurity in Northern New Mexico:
- Experience the action of partner agencies and food distribution programs across The Food Depot’s service area in the Fall 2023 issue of the Depot Dispatch newsletter;
- Download the Hunger Action Month Calendar to stay active in September;
- Learn about the impact of food insecurity on communities across Northern New Mexico; and
- Read Feeding America’s Elevating Voices to End Hunger Together report to learn about anti-hunger policy recommendations informed by people experiencing food insecurity (releases 9/15/23).
Commit and Act with The Food Depot:
- Help The Food Depot raise $150,000 for Casita de Comida, The Food Depot’s no-cost market serving greater Rio Arriba. In September, your dollars go farther than ever with our Hunger Action Month matches;
- In September, round up your purchase at any Kroger or Smith’s to benefit food banks in New Mexico;
- Sign up for the San Isidro 5K and Fun Run to benefit The Food Depot. This family friendly event in Santa Fe on September 30th is open to athletes of all abilities! Learn more at sanisidro5k.com:
- Volunteer at The Food Depot or at a partner agency food bank. Volunteering is easy and fun. See the many ways you can make a difference on our website.
Speak Up and Advocate:
- Sign Feeding America’s petition to members of Congress urging them to strengthen critical nutrition programs in the 2023 Farm Bill that help seniors, families, children, active military members and other people in communities across the country.
Join the food security movement now at thefooddepot.org/