Musicale performers in April 2016. Courtesy photo
This Sunday at 2 p.m., 15 aspiring young pianists in Los Alamos will present a public recital, at Crossroads Bible Church. The Community Recital is FREE and open to the public, sponsored by the teachers of the Los Alamos Music Teachers Association (LAMTA). Students from the age of 7 through 15 will present a program that is a vibrant mixture or solos, duets, and an original student composition,with the music spanning all musical style periods from J.S. Bach to the everpopular John Williams.
The Sunday Musicales are regular presentations for the community sponsored by LAMTA and presented in fall and spring terms for the public’s enjoyment. Crossroads Church is wheelchair accessible.
- What: Los Alamos Piano Students Featured in Sunday Afternoon Recital at Fuller Lodge
- When: Sunday, Nov.r 20 at 2 p.m.
- Where: Crossroads Bible Church
- Admission: FREE
Students performing include award-winning student Yunseo Kim, 12, a recent Winner of the New Mexico’s Professional Music Teachers Association Contest, held in Albuquerque. Kim will perform a duet by Felix Mendelssohn, with her teacher, Janna Warren. Also featured will be a promising young student, Altai Prechtel, 7. Prechtel was awarded New Mexico State Honorable Mention in Elementary Composition and will be performing her own work for solo piano, “A Suite of Three: Giant in the Snow, New Mexico Cloudburst, and The Salamander on the Peonie Pollen”.
Additional Sunday performers:
- Jiyoon Kim, performing a Gavotte by G.P. Telemann;
- Adrian Koo, performing a Mozart Minuet;
- Joey Liu, performing the always s popular “Rondo allaTurca” of Mozart;
- Megan Harden performing, Bach’s “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring;
- Jadon Hardon, performing a Sonatina of Frank Lynes as well as W.C. Handy’s “St. Louis Blues”;
- Evan Strohmeyer, performing two works by the film composer John Williams;
- Ming-Yuan Lo, performing Schumann’s “Soldier’s March”;
- Henry Gans, performing three works from Seymour Bernstein’s “Out of this World Suite”;
- Sophia Feldman, performing “Tarantella” by Pieczonka;
- EmmeMooday, performing “Sunrise on Jericho Beach” by Canadian composer Stephen Chatman;
- Jullianna Tang, performing a Bach “Musette” and Dennis Alexander’s “Sonatina in F”;
- Jack Ammerman, performing Kabalevsky’s “Toccatina”;
- Phillip Ionkov, performing “Doctor Gradus” from Debussy’s “Children’s Corner Suite”; and
- Concluding the program, LAMTA teachers Janna Warren and Dr. Madeline Williamson will perform selected pieces from Waltzes, Op. 39, of Johannes Brahms.
LAMTA is the local affiliate of the State (PMTNM) and National (MTNA) professional music organizations for independent music teachers and college music faculty. All performers in Musicales are students of teachers who are professional members of all three organizations. Students for this recital represent teachers Dr. Aejin Chang, Wendy Ge, Janna Warren, and Dr. Madeline Williamson. Although the program is Free to the public, donations are gladly accepted at the Audience Reception which follows in the Lobby. Donations go to support ongoing enrichment activities and performance opportunities conducted on behalf of Los Alamos piano students by the LAMTA. LAMTA is a non-profit 501-(c-3) organization with the mission of furthering the art of music teaching and programs that encourage and support music study and appreciation for students and their community. For any further details, call 505.685.0076 and leave a message.