The County has issued the lastest uppdate on road construction underway around the community. Please slow down and use caution within the construction work zones. Note: Children are attracted by activity and heavy equipment. For safety reasons, please keep children away from construction areas, since they cannot always be seen by workers concentrating on their jobs.
The below information is based on a schedule provided by the contractors and may change due to weather or other delays.
Public Works Projects:
Canyon Rim Trail
- Construction on the west leg of Canyon Rim Trail continues. The trail remains closed to pedestrians. Clearing and excavating south of DP Road continues. No traffic delays on NM 502 or DP Road are anticipated.
Central Avenue Phase 2 Improvements Project
- Road work continues with the closure of the south side of the Central/15th Street Intersection. Detours will be in place for through traffic on 15th Street at the intersection. Eastbound and westbound two-way traffic on Central will be maintained. Access to area businesses will also be maintained.
- To expedite project completion, night work will be conducted requiring a full closure of Central Avenue, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., from 15th Street to Knecht Street
- Message boards are in place providing information on work activities. Motorists and pedestrians are asked to follow detours, slow down and use caution within the work zone.
- County and contractor personnel will be available to answer questions regarding the Central Avenue project 10-11 a.m. every Monday, in Room 200 of the Municipal Building (1000 Central Ave.).
Diamond Drive Crack Sealing Project
- Crack sealing activities on Diamond Drive continue from the San Ildefonso roundabout south to the Los Alamos Canyon “Omega” bridge. Activities will be limited to “off-peak” hours whenever possible, from approximately 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, weather permitting. Crack sealing activity is expected to occur across the next few weeks. Motorists should expect lane drops and occasional flagging operations.
Knecht Street Improvements Project
- Asphalt paving and concrete placement is complete. Road striping, lighting, signage, manhole adjustments and valley gutter placement will continue next week as the project nears completion.
Western Area Phase 4 Improvements Project
- In order to complete a water line connection, motorists can expect a lane drop on northbound Diamond Drive from Los Alamos High School’s pedestrian overpass to the Orange/Diamond Drive intersection through Wednesday, Aug. 3. The lane drop will be removed 4-6:30 p.m. daily to accommodate northbound traffic for the evening commute.
- Construction crews continue making progress with utility and road work on 38th Street, 39th Street, and Ridgeway Drive. Traffic detours to and from Orange Street are in place. Residents are required to remove all vehicles on the roadway and find alternate parking during work hours. Access to residences as well as services such as a mail delivery, emergency services, trash and recycling collection will be maintained.
For more information about the projects listed below, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 505.662.8150, or visit the “Projects” link at www.losalamosnm.us. The public is welcome to attend any of the Public Works weekly project meetings; contact the Public Works Department at 505.662.8150 for meeting information.
- For more information about the projects listed below, please e-mail email@example.com or call 505.662.8333.
San Ildefonso Road – Natural Gas, Electric and Fiber Optic Project
- Excavation is underway behind the north curb on San Ildefonso Road between Hawk Drive and North Mesa Road. Crews will be replacing a gas line and installing conduit for future electric lines and fiber optics infrastructure. Minimal impacts to traffic are anticipated.
- Construction updates are posted at www.losalamosnm.us each Friday explaining traffic control to be expected for the following week – link to News/The Cone Zone. Or, subscribe to The Cone Zone newsletter and receive automatic traffic updates via e-mail each week – just visit the “Newsletters” link on the home page and click on “The Cone Zone” subscribe box. Project updates are also available via newsletter subscription on the same page.