2017 Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship participants and coaches Jan. 29 in Griffith Gymnasium. Courtesy photo
Champion Owan Geiger of the 2017 Knights of Columbus Free Throw competition in the 12-year-old division with K of C Youth Director Roger Anaya, left, and Grand Knight David Jolley. Courtesy photo
Champion Lukas Ulibarri of the 2017 Knights of Columbus Free Throw competition in the 10-year-old division with K of C Youth Director Roger Anaya, left, and Grand Knight David Jolley. Courtesy photo
Six boys and one girl ages 9 to 14, were named local champions of the 2017 Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship and have earned the right to compete at the district level.
Each contestant was allowed 15 free throw attempts in the contests. Ties were settled by successive rounds of five free throws per contestant until a winner emerged.
Champions named at the Jan. 29 competition in Griffith Gymnasium at Los Alamos High School include:
- Benjamin Sanchez was crowned 9-year-old champion;
- Lukas Ulibarri won the 10-year-old division;
- Mika Stanfield and Abraham Sanchez, the 2016 10-year old champions, won the 11-year-old championship;
- Owan Geiger and Tyler Archuleta played in the very competitive 12-year-old match and at the end of the round both had finished tied with 9 made baskets each. And after two additional playoff rounds, Geiger won the championship.
- Wesley Stanfield, 13, and Lucario Chavez, 14, both repeat champions from 2016, won the final two championship trophies.
The Knights of Columbus also would like to recognize all runner-ups:
- Zane Kretz (9);
- Jacob Ulibarri (11);
- Nora Johnson (10);
- Jacob Ulibarri (11);
- Tyler Archuleta (12); and
- Joshua Woodson (13).
Each of these winners will now advance to compete in the district free throw championships, at 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18 at Espanola High School Gymnasium with an eye toward moving on to the state championships in March in Albuquerque (location TBD).
Sacred Heart Council #3137 in Los Alamos sponsored the local competition. All youngsters ages 9 to 14 were eligible to participate.
The Knights of Columbus would like to thank everyone who participated in this year’s local competition. They also would like to thank Los Alamos Public Schools for the use of Griffith Gymnasium.