NWS News Alert:
Weather Advisory: Winter Storm Warning until 5 PM Thursday in the Far Northwest Highlands and San Juan Mountains.
A WINTER STORM TO IMPACT NORTHWEST AND NORTH CENTRAL NEW MEXICO TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY… .A vigorous Pacific storm system will eject northeastward across the Four Corners and north central New Mexico tonight and Thursday.
Westerly upslope flow with this storm system will bring a few to over 12 inches of snow to portions of north central and northwest New Mexico tonight through Thursday. …WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM MST THURSDAY…
* WHAT…Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches, with localized amounts near 18 inches on higher peaks of the Tusas Mountains, and lighter amounts of 1 to 6 inches below 6500 feet.
* WHERE…Far Northwest Highlands and San Juan Mountains.
* WHEN…Until 5 PM MST Thursday. The heaviest snow will occur tonight into early Thursday morning. Then, snow will gradually decrease in coverage and intensity through mid day Thursday, before tapering off Thursday afternoon. < br />
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Roads will become snowpacked and icy with road closures possible over higher mountain passes. The visibility will drop near a quarter mile during periods of heavy snow tonight into early Thursday morning.
* AFFECTED AREAS: FAR NORTHWEST HIGHLANDS … SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS
A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather conditions will make travel very hazardous or impossible. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.