STATE FORESTRY News:
Situation: Extreme fire behavior has caused the Whitewater and Baldy Fires to combine, creating the Whitewater-Baldy Complex.
Evacuations of the Willow Creek and Mogollon are still in effect.
Smoke from these fires is clearly visible from the Silver City area and is affecting much of the southern third of New Mexico.
The fire has now come out of the Gila Wilderness and on to the Gila National Forest in the Willow Creek Subdivision, crossed State Road 159 at Silver Creek Divide and is working its way into Mineral Creek.
- Incident Name: Whitewater-Baldy Complex
- Start Date/Time: May 16
- Start Location: Gila Wilderness on the Gila National Forest
- Cause of Fire: Lightning
- Area Vegetation: Mixed conifer
- Acres Burned: Not reported
- Containment: 0 percent
- Ownerships: USDA Forest Service/private
- Structures Threatened: yes
- Structures Burned: unknown
- Evacuations: 57 summer homes in the Willow Creek area/Mogollon