Smoke from the May 15 house fire in Tsikamu Village could be seen from the Los Alamos County Airport. Photo by Carol A. Clark/ladailypost.com
The home at 913 Cheyenne is now boarded up following the May 15 house fire. Photo by Carol A. Clark/ladailypost.com
- Snippets of the May 15 house fire at 913 Cheyenne St. where captured on video
Friday, May 15, a single structure fire occurred at 913 Cheyenne St., in Tsikamu Village in Los Alamos. Cpl. James Keane of the Los Alamos Police Department was patrolling his assigned area in his patrol car and noticed smoke emitting from a nearby residence and notified the Los Alamos Dispatch Center.
Keane drove to the residence and encountered two neighbors who had breached a raised glass door trying to gain access to help a 57-year-old male inside the burning residence. Keane radioed that one or more persons were inside the burning home.
As seen on Keane’s dash cam video, he entered the residence while it was burning and engulfed in a large amount of smoke and carried the male subject to the edge of the glass doorway where he and neighbors brought the man to safety.
The man as well as a woman, who managed to escape the fire on her own, was taken to Los Alamos Medical Center where they were treated for smoke inhalation and abrasions.
“I want to commend the citizens, Cpl. James Keane, and the Los Alamos Fire Department for their quick action during this emergency,” Cmdr. Oliver Morris said.
Neighbors and first responders also rescued three dogs from the residence, which were taken to the Los Alamos County Animal Shelter and have all survived.