From left, Deputy Utility Manager Electric Production Steve Cummins, Department of Public Utilities Board member Chris Ortega, Utility Manager John Arrowsmith, Board Chair Glenn Woodwell, Board member Kevin Anderson and Deputy Utility Manager Finance & Administration Bob Westervelt during a November meeting at the DPU in Central Park Square. Photo by Carol A. Clark/ladailypost.com
At its meeting Tuesday night, Jan. 22, the Los Alamos Board of Public Utilities elected David Powell to serve as board chair for 2013.
Tim Neal was elected to continue to serve as board vice-chair and the remaining board includes Kevin Anderson, Chris Ortega and Glenn Woodwell.
The Department of Public Utilities (DPU) operates the County-owned electric, gas, water and wastewater systems under the jurisdiction of the Board of Public Utilities.
The DPU is funded by rates paid for electric, gas, water and wastewater services and auxiliary fees, and has provided the community with these services for more than 40 years.
Established under Article V. of the 1968 Charter for the Incorporated County of Los Alamos, the DPU provides payments to Los Alamos County in lieu of the franchise fees and taxes that would normally be assessed against a privately-owned utility.
- Purpose: DPU governing body “which shall operate the County-owned electric, gas, water and sewer utility systems under jurisdiction and control of the Board of Public Utilities.”
- Authorization: Los Alamos County Charter Article 5 and Los Alamos County Ordinance No. 54, 11/1/66.
- Composition: Five members, who must be registered to vote in the County.
- Term: Five years.
- Meetings: Regular meetings usually occur the third Wednesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at 170 Central Park Square – DPU Conference Room.
- Staff Liaison: John E. Arrowsmith, Utilities Department 662-8272.
- Email: email@example.com