SANTA FE—The cremated remains of 14 U.S. Armed Forces veterans who upon death, went unclaimed by family members will be interred with full military honors at a special funeral at 2:15 p.m., Nov.1 at the Santa Fe National Cemetery.
The interments are in accordance with New Mexico’s Forgotten Heroes Burial Program, established by the New Mexico Department of Veterans’ Services to provide a military funeral, with an Honor Guard and Flag Fold Ceremony, for any honorably discharged veteran who upon death goes unclaimed by family members or friends.
The Forgotten Heroes Burial Program is based on the department’s strong conviction that all honorably-discharged veterans have earned the right to be buried with honor and dignity as a result of their service to our country.
As outlined by the Program, the department will represent the citizens of New Mexico and serve as the family of record at the funeral. Gov. Susana Martinez is scheduled to attend and deliver the eulogy.
Scheduled to be interred:
- Air Force SrA Rodney Anderson (Bernalillo County) (date of death: 3/25/10)
- Navy HM3 Phillip Glenn Armstrong (Bernalillo) (10/28/10)
- Army PFC William Benson (Bernalillo) (4/6/09)
- Army PFC George Allen Blackwell (Bernalillo) (11/2/10)
- Navy PO3 Donald Allen Bradford (Bernalillo) (9/11/10)
- Army PFC Herbert Alanzo Coombs, Jr. (Bernalillo) (5/11/11)
- Army PV2 James Good (Bernalillo) (1/2/10)
- Army PFC James Jenkins (Bernalillo) (11/26/10)
- Marine Corps Pfc Basil Lyba (Bernalillo) (12/3/09)
- Army SP4 Edward Maniaci (Bernalillo) (12/26/10
- Navy SN Donald Van Arsdale Maycrink, Jr. (Bernalillo) (10/23/10)
- Army SP5 Oscar Ray Payton (Bernalillo) (12/25/10)
- Navy SA Rudolph Leopold Romero (Bernalillo) (3/19/11)
- Army SP4 Edwin Johnson (Otero) (10/10/11)
The public is invited to join in this Final Salute for these 14 men who honorably served our country.