SANTA FE – The most recent class of high-growth companies honored with the Northern New Mexico 20/20 Campaign awards include:
- Don Quixote Distillery; and
- GeoEnergy Monitoring Systems.
Both Los Alamos businesses were among eight New Mexico businesses recognized.
The Regional Development Corporation of Española launched the campaign in 2012, which aims to develop at least 20 companies who are on track to double their workforce and/or revenues before the year 2020. Key partners in the Campaign are Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Bank, the Regional Economic Development Initiative (REDI) and Technology Integration Group (TIG).
To qualify as a nominee, companies must have a proven and developed product or service, two or more customers with 50 percent or more of their revenues coming from outside New Mexico, financial profitability and a solid plan for growth. A range of local elected officials, city and county governments and entrepreneurial support organizations provided the nominations, and each candidate went through a competitive screening process.
Last year, eight businesses comprised the first class of the awardees:
- Bicycle Technologies International (BTI) of Santa Fe
- Black Mesa Winery of Velarde
- Performance Maintenance Inc. (PMI) of Española
- Positive Energy of Santa Fe
- Santa Fe Brewing Company
- Siriusware of Taos
- Star Cryoelectronics of Santa Fe
- Vapour Organic Beauty of Taos
Collectively, one year later, these companies have added 25 local jobs and increased revenues by more than $4.55 million.
“The 20/20 Campaign is about looking at our future and understanding who the companies are in our region who are in a growth pattern. These are the companies who will become the major job creators and it is vital they have our support,” said LANL Community Programs Office Director Kurt Steinhaus.
2013 brings a new crop of companies, and the eight local businesses recognized at the awards reception held Thursday, Oct. 24 at the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe range from seismic monitoring systems to an energy bar manufacturer.
Fire Safety Products
Alpine Fire Safety Systems of Arroyo Hondo – A rapidly expanding company providing fire safety equipment and, recently, forest fire erosion control services, they have secured federal contracts and are bringing additional jobs and revenue home to Northern New Mexico.
Spirits and Wines Celebrating New Mexico
Don Quixote of Los Alamos – Best known for their Blue Corn Bourbon, their product line now includes 10 spirits and 17 wines. They are about to launch a new line of gourmet chocolates and vanilla extracts.
Seismic Field Monitoring Solutions
GeoEnergy Monitoring Systems, Inc. of Los Alamos – Their smart-sensor technology is an inexpensive solution to monitor seismic activities for any drilling site, as monitors can be shipped to operators in the field and use satellite and cell phone signals to cover remote regions. Plans for growth include a new distribution and processing center based in Los Alamos.
Healthy, Nutritious Food for Dogs
Marty’s Meals of Santa Fe – After experiencing skyrocketing growth and outgrowing two kitchens, Marty’s Meals is now based in a new commercial kitchen and retail space, with plans for expansion in Albuquerque and Boulder, Colorado.
Precise Measurement Instrumentation for Lasers
- Mesa Photonics of Santa Fe – Founded by two former LANL employees, the company has developed measurement instrumentation for ultra-fast lasers that is utilized by universities and research facilities nationwide. Plans for expansion include launching their product line worldwide, as well as developing monitoring systems for carbon capture sites.
Premium Waters via Health Food Stores
- National Water Services of Santa Fe – The FreshPure™ vending machine is manufactured in Santa Fe and offers premium waters (reverse osmosis, deionized and high pH varieties) to customers in health food stores in 38 states. On track to double their revenues, they plan to purchase a new facility and expand their workforce.
All Natural, Gluten-free Energy Bars
- Taos Mountain Energy Bars of Taos – Just three years old, the company sells their line of all natural (mostly organic) gluten-free energy bars throughout the southwest. They recently expanded into a new kitchen facility with new packaging equipment, and are continually adding employees.
Enterprise IT For Everyone
- Technology Solutions NM of Santa Fe – The company is able to leverage the type of full technology support services typically found in Fortune 500 companies to small and medium-sized businesses, as well as deploy complex network schematics for larger clients. They recently acquired a company based in Arizona and have plans to become the major service provider for the entire southwest region, while still being based in Santa Fe.
For more information on the Northern New Mexico 20/20 Campaign, the partners supporting the initiative and the awardees, visit www.NNM2020.org.