Starting this afternoon (July 24) through Thursday, during rush hour, and all day Friday, the N.M. 4 single-lane hairpin turn (blue on the map) at the Y interchange that takes drivers onto Main Hill Road will close for traffic safety.
Drivers needing to get from White Rock/N.M. 4 to Los Alamos will need to go via East Jemez Road/truck route.
Construction will continue on N.M. 502 and drivers are asked to slow down to posted speed limits, be careful and pay attention to traffic signs and traffic patterns designed to accommodate construction and commuter needs. Rain and thunderstorms could impact the construction schedule.
Driver patterns for this week on N.M. 502 are as follows and continue to provide two lanes for eastbound traffic:
- Drivers from N.M. 4 (truck route/White Rock) will enter onto one N.M. 502 eastbound lane and remain there until traffic returns to its normal configuration, near the Totavi gas station.
- Wednesday, weather permitting, work will transfer from the inner eastbound N.M. 502 lane to the outer lane. Drivers will shift to the inner lane.
- Eastbound drivers from Main Hill Road should simply remain in their lane, which will transfer drivers to the lane left of the concrete barrier. Workers will set orange barrels in the middle lane to separate opposing westbound traffic (toward Los Alamos).
- During peak afternoon traffic hours and all day Friday, the N.M. 4 single-lane hairpin turn at the Y interchange (shown in blue) that takes drivers north onto Main Hill/502 will close.
- Saturday, July 28, the N.M. 4 ramp to eastbound 502 (yellow on the map) will be closed all day. Drivers needing to go from White Rock to Santa Fe/Espanola will need to go up the Truck Route and through Los Alamos.
Morning westbound commuters on N.M. 502 will continue to have three open lanes for the next couple weeks. Following completion of the upper eastbound N.M. 502 reconstruction, work will move further east near the water tank. Information about future work on the westbound lanes of N.M. 502 and traffic patterns will be made available prior to the start of that reconstruction. To view map, go to this link: https://www.losalamosnm.us/news/n_m502___n_m4_road_construction_alert