Emergency repairs to a sewer force main are underway by Los Alamos Department of Public Utilities sewer crews.
(A force main is a pressurized sewer pipe that conveys wastewater in a situation where gravity sewage flow is not possible. Pumps or compressors push the sewage through the force main from lower to higher elevations or across landscapes where deep excavation is not feasible.)
At 10 a.m. today, March 9, crews began working in the intersection of Trinity Drive and Oppenheimer Drive. The construction zone is situated on the south side of Trinity in the center of Oppenheimer and it is anticipated that by 7 p.m. today the work will be completed.
Traffic impacts include the following:
- Two east bound traffic lanes on Trinity merge into one lane at the Oppenheimer intersection.
- West bound traffic on Trinity is not affected.
- Additionally, the Oppenheimer center lane, south of Trinity is closed.
- Motorists will still be able travel north and south on Oppenheimer.
- Sidewalks on the south side of Trinity Dr. will also be closed to pedestrians.
No interruption of utility services is planned.
Drivers are urged to observe the speed limit and traffic control signs. Questions or concerns may be directed to the DPU through the Customer Care Center, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at 505.662.8333 or CustomerCare@lacnm.us
About the DPU
The Department of Public Utilities (DPU) has operated the county-owned electric, gas, water and wastewater systems for more than 50 years under the jurisdiction of the Board of Public Utilities. Meeting at 5:30 p.m. every third Wednesday of the month, the Board convenes in Council Chambers at 1000 Central Ave., Los Alamos, NM. DPU is funded by rates paid for utility services it provides. CustomerCare@lacnm.us, 505.662.8333. |www.ladpu.com/DPU