A ranch in Wyoming. Courtesy/MSNBC
REAL ESTATE News:
The five largest landowners in America include:
1. John Malone: The cable tycoon has 2.2 million acres stretching from Wyoming to Maine. One of his crown jewels is the Bell Ranch, a 290,100-acre cattle empire.
2. Ted Turner: The media magnate has 2 million acres in Nebraska, New Mexico and other states. He is a strong advocate of wildlife conservation.
3. The Emmerson family: This low-profile family holds 1.8 million acres through Sierra Pacific Industries, the nation’s second largest lumber producer.
4. Brad Kelley: The reclusive billionaire, who drives a pick-up truck and made his money from discount cigarettes, owns about 1.5 million acres and uses much of it for cattle ranching.
5. The Irving family: The Canadian forestry family behind J.D. Irving Inc. owns 1.2 million acres in Maine and other locations. This year alone, J.D. Irving will plant 30 million seedlings.
Read the full story at http://finance.yahoo.com/news/five-largest-landowners-america-172834939.html.