Suspect Captured Following State Police Officer Involved Shooting In Southwest Albuquerque

Jesus Arenivar
NMSP News:
ALBUQUERQUE A New Mexico State Police officer assigned to the Metro Surge Operation that brought 50 State Police officers from around the state to Albuquerque was the participant in an officer involved shooting Thursday in southwest Albuquerque near Sunset Gardens Road SW and Corregidor Drive SW.
At around 7 p.m. the State Police officer was patrolling in southwest Albuquerque when he encountered a stolen silver SUV near City View Drive SW and Rim Drive SW. The officer attempted a traffic stop but the driver, later identified as Jesus Arenivar, 36, of Albuquerque, failed to stop.
A pursuit ensued ending when Arenivar drove into a cul-de-sac near Sunset Gardens Road SW and Corregidor Drive SW. Arenivar then turned the vehicle around and drove at the officer. At this point during the incident the State Police officer discharged his department weapon.
The suspect vehicle struck the State Police officers patrol unit and another parked vehicle, then fled the area. The officer located the suspect vehicle nearby a short time later parked against a curb with a flat tire. The occupants had fled, and the vehicle was abandoned. Through investigation and witness interviews, investigators learned that Arenivar and a female ran from the vehicle.
After an intensive canvassing of the surrounding neighborhoods officers were able to successfully detain both Arenivar and the female passenger.
The female passenger, who is not facing charges and will not be identified, was interviewed and released.
Arenivar, who sustained a gunshot wound to his right shoulder during the incident, was treated, released and then booked in the Metro Detention Center on charges of Aggravated Assault on a Police Officer, Aggravated Fleeing of a Police Officer and Possession of a Stolen Vehicle (First Offense).
Arenivar has a criminal history of DWI in 2001 and had an active traffic warrant out of Bernalillo County at the time of his arrest.  
The State Police officer was not injured during the incident and he has been placed on standard administrative leave. The name of the officer will not be released until after interviews have been completed.
This case is still under investigation with no additional information available at this time. When more information becomes available it will be released.