DOE and Korean officials sign a memorandum of understanding in 2010. Courtesy/NNSA News
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and the Republic of Korea announced Wednesday that the Republic of Korea renewed its partnership to combat nuclear smuggling with a $300,000 contribution to support NNSA’s ongoing nonproliferation work in Azerbaijan.
The funding, provided by the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and facilitated by the U.S. Department of State’s Nuclear Smuggling Outreach Initiative (NSOI), will be used for the installation of radiation
World Public Safety National Laboratory
The Santa Fe National Forest Fire Management plans a 20-acre hazardous fuels treatment on the Forest for January and February.
Santa Fe Watershed, Espanola Ranger District:
- Approximately 20 acres of piles are to be treated at any point in time in the Santa Fe Watershed from Tuesday, Jan. 8 through the end of February, if conditions are favorable;
- The pile burn location is approximately six miles east of Santa Fe, one mile east of McClure Reservoir;
- The pile burn is expected to take place while snow is on the ground, which will help keep smoke levels low;
- Smoke from the burning activities
State Public Safety Fire
Rep. Stephanie Garcia Richard
The League of Women Voters of Los Alamos and the American Association of University Women will hold a legislative preview 7-9 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9 at Fuller Lodge.
Refreshments will be served at 6:30 p.m. for this event in which the public is invited to participate.
Sen. Carlos Cisneros
New Mexico legislators including Rep. Stephanie Garcia Richard and Senators Carlos Cisneros and Richard Martinez have all agreed to attend and share their views on the upcoming session.
Also, Dick Mason of Health Action New Mexico and Marcela Diaz of Somos Un Pueblo
CORRECTIONS DEPARTMENT News:
On Dec. 30, at approximately 4:50 p.m., an inmate housed at the Central New Mexico Correctional Facility, Alternative Placement Area intentionally set a fire in his cell for the purposes of causing himself harm.
The Special Operations Response Team responded immediately to extinguish the fire and rescue the inmate. After the fire was extinguished and the inmate was rescued, the entire pod was evacuated.
One of the team’s first responders was treated and released from an area hospital for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
The inmate was cooperative
State Public Safety
SANTA FE—The New Mexico Department of Transportation recently saved $32.9 million in taxpayer money that will be returned to road projects over the next four years.
The savings are generated by refinancing bond debt at lower interest costs on the market.
“We went from an average interest rate of 5.02 percent to 1.83 percent, achieving $32.9 million savings by refinancing fixed rate debt of $220.4 million. This is a great deal for the state,” said Marcos Trujillo, Bond Manager for the NMDOT.
Standard and Poor’s rating agency upgraded the NMDOT bond rating to AAA based on the
Nation Public Safety
New Gun-Control … Just Another Fool’s Folly!
For the last few days, I’ve been hearing the endless cries of, “We need more gun-control!” “Ban those evil semi-automatic military assault-weapons! Nobody needs those for hunting!” “Ban all high-capacity magazines,!” etc., all of them now permeating the airwaves in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., tragedy.
I’ve also heard the statement in the past, and I’m paraphrasing, that our Second Amendment’s guarantee that a citizen’s “right to keep and
Nation Public Safety Columns
The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) will be flying a helicopter over portions of Washington, D.C., between Dec. 27, 2012, and Jan. 11, 2013.
The purpose of these flights is to measure naturally occurring radiation in the Washington, D.C., area.
The radiation assessment will cover approximately 70 square miles and NNSA will complete the assessment using a helicopter equipped with remote gamma radiation sensing technology.
The helicopter will fly in a grid pattern over the areas, 150 feet or higher above the ground surface, at a speed of approximately
Nation Public Safety National Laboratory
- New Mexico adds Tennessee Tech to 2023 football schedule - FBSchedules.com
- Tarleton State women top New Mexico State in El Paso - Las Cruces Sun-News
- Noodles & Company eyes franchise expansions in six states, including New Mexico - Albuquerque Business First - Albuquerque Business First
- New Mexico governor signs bill to preserve abortion rights - Tulsa World
- New Mexico officials cautiously optimistic about efforts to eliminate Covid-19 - Albuquerque Business First - Albuquerque Business First
- ‘Better Call Saul’ to film final season soon in New Mexico - The Durango Herald