On behalf of the State of New Mexico, the Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) announced that the federal government has allocated $170 million for rental and utility assistance to New Mexico residents in need.
The DFA is spearheading the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) in partnership with the City of Albuquerque, and they need assistance with sharing this program information.
They recognize that it will take a massive and collaborative effort to reach people who may need rental and utility assistance. They would greatly appreciate the public’s help to ensure they reach as many people as possible, which may even include employees and their families.
ERAP highlights and how the public’s collaboration is essential to the success of this program:
What is ERAP?
The Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides rental and utility assistance to households experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The state’s ERAP website is https://www.renthelpnm.org/.
Who is eligible for this program?
- Must be obligated to pay rent; AND be able to demonstrate current primary residence in a housing unit in New Mexico
- Able to show a financial impact due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- A household income that falls under the COVID-19 Housing Cost Assistance Program Income Limits
- Unemployed and/or receiving unemployment benefits (optional)
- Able to demonstrate risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability
How can you help?
They are asking employers to share information about ERAP with their employees through any existing communication channel; this can be an email to all employees, a flyer with a paycheck, putting up a small poster at the place of employment or sharing as part of an internal intranet.
They are happy to provide print materials or assist with developing a message specifically tailored to your organization. Here is a link to a “toolkit” with helpful graphics and information.