SANTA FE — Forest Roads (FR) 69 and 70 on the Cuba Ranger District of the Santa Fe National Forest (SFNF) opened Friday.
Forest personnel have cleared the roads of fallen trees and confirmed that they are dry enough to withstand motorized traffic.
FR 69 will be closed again May 15 through June 30 for elk calving season. This area is traditionally a favorite for cow elk and their calves. Cow elk are much more aggressive toward people during calving season. The SFNF tries to minimize elk encounters for public and wildlife safety by closing the road.
Conditions on the forest are extremely dry, and this weekend is expected to bring historic high winds.
Fire danger is EXTREME across the SFNF as two Type 1 incident management teams work to contain the Cerro Pelado Fire and the Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fires. The forest is under Stage 2 fire restrictions, which went into effect April 22.
The restrictions prohibit the following activities on the forest:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire or stove fire;
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is cleared of vegetation and flammable material;
- Blasting, welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame;
- Using an explosive of any kind. (Fireworks and other pyrotechnic devices are always prohibited on national forests.);
- Operating any equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, including chainsaws, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily; and
- Driving off designated roads. Visitors may park in areas cleared of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway, or in designated parking areas.
The order, map and any closures can be found on the alerts and notices page of the SFNF website.
Anyone planning to visit the Santa Fe National Forest should know before you go and “be outdoor safe.” Check the weather forecast and be prepared for seasonal fluctuations.
Stay up to date on SFNF news by checking the SFNF website and following on Facebook and Twitter.