Follow a familiar family tradition or start a new one this year by cutting a Christmas tree on the Santa Fe National Forest.
Christmas tree permits go on sale Monday at Santa Fe National Forest Headquarters and Ranger District offices. The nonrefundable permits are for personal use only and may be purchased for $10 by check, credit/debit card or cash through Dec. 24. Permit purchasers will receive a tree tag, map and guidelines for harvesting a tree.
One tag is valid for a tree up to five inches in diameter and 10 feet in height. Trees taller than 10 feet and/or wider than five inches require an additional tag. For example, a 15-foot tree requires two tags. The Santa Fe National Forest has a three-tag limit per person.
Permit holders should be prepared for unpredictable weather changes and colder conditions in higher elevations. Visitors are advised to check with the local Ranger District office or the New Mexico Department of Transportation website for current road and weather conditions. Christmas tree cutters should also make sure they have the appropriate equipment to harvest a tree and safely transport it home. Forest Service staff may be in the cutting areas to check permits and answer questions.
Permit holders are asked to practice good stewardship. Christmas tree permits purchased at a Santa Fe National Forest office are valid only on land within Forest boundaries, and tree cutting is prohibited within 300 feet of streams, rivers and paved roads, and in all recreation camp areas and congressionally designated wilderness areas.
The public may purchase Christmas tree permits at the following Santa Fe National Forest offices 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday:
- Headquarters – 11 Forest Lane, Santa Fe, 505.438.5300 Map to Headquarters
- Coyote Ranger District, N.M. 96, Drive 1707, Coyote, 575.638.5526 Map to Coyote Ranger Station
- Cuba Ranger District, 04b County Road, Cuba, 575.289.3264 Map to Cuba Ranger Station
- Espanola Ranger District, 1710 N. Riverside Dr., Espanola, 505.753.7331 Map to Espanola Ranger Station
- Jemez Ranger District, 051 Woodsy Lane, Jemez Springs, 575.829.3535 Map to Jemez Ranger Station
- Pecos/Las Vegas Ranger District, Pecos Ranger Station, 32 S. Main St., Pecos, 505.757.6121 Map to Pecos Ranger Station
- Las Vegas Ranger Station, 926 N. 7th St., Las Vegas, NM, 505.425.3534 Map to Las Vegas Ranger Station
All offices will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. For additional information about the Santa Fe National Forest’s Christmas tree permits, contact Forest Headquarters at 505.438.5300