FOREST SERVICE News:
SANTA FE – The Santa Fe National Forest will waive fees at many recreation sites and amenities over the Veterans Day weekend from Nov. 8-11.
“We honor our veterans each Nov. 11 and every other day of the year,” U.S. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell said. “We hope that this time will serve as a way for our veterans and other visitors to find our national forests and grasslands as a year-round respite, a place where they can take time out for themselves.”
Fees at all national forests and grasslands will be waived at many day-use sites, such as picnic grounds and developed trailheads, in cooperation with other federal agencies under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act.
The Veterans Day fee waiver is the last of four offered in 2014. Fee-free days scheduled for 2015 include:
- Jan. 19, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Day
- Feb. 16, Presidents Day
- June 13, National Get Outdoors Day
- Sept. 26, National Public Lands Day
- Nov. 11, Veterans Day
Fees will be waived at Santa Fe National Forest sites that normally charge a day-use fee and campgrounds that are not on the National Recreation Reservation System. Since many recreation sites are closed for the winter, visitors to the Santa Fe National Forest are encouraged to contact the appropriate ranger district office to determine which sites are open and will have fees waived.
- Coyote Ranger District – 575.638.5526
- Cuba Ranger District – 575.289.3264
- Espanola Ranger District – 505.753.7331
- Jemez Ranger District – 575.829.3535
- Las Vegas Ranger District – 505.425.3534
- Pecos Ranger District – 505.757.6121