The Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) generates some hazardous and mixed waste. In November 2010, the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) issued the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Hazardous Waste Facility Permit (EPA ID Number NM0890010515-1).
The Permit establishes standards for how LANL manages, stores and treats hazardous wastes on-site and for the closure and post-closure care of permitted waste management units.
In compliance with the permit, LANL updates a Community Relations Plan annually, pending input from the public.
The plan provides for six elements of community relations:
- Establish an open working relationship with communities and interested members of the public;
- Establish a productive government to government relationship with local tribes and pueblos;
- Keep communities and interested members of the public informed of permit actions of interest;
- Minimize disputes and resolve differences with communities and interested members of the public;
- Provide a mechanism for the timely dissemination of information in response to individual requests; and
- Provide a mechanism for communities and interested members of the public to provide feedback and input to the Permittees.
Find a link to the plan here, which will be updated on the webpage on or before Sep. 1, 2023.
Members of the public who would like to submit comments to the Community Relations Plan, should click on this link and select one of the submittal options.