A winter storm is expected to impact northern and eastern New Mexico Saturday night into Sunday.
The weekend weather forecast for Los Alamos:
- Saturday – A 40 percent chance of snow showers after 11 a.m. Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Saturday Night – A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. North wind 5 to 10 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Sunday – Mostly sunny, with a high near 33. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the afternoon.
- Sunday Night – Mostly clear, with a low around 16. West wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight.
Travel impacts are expected as area roads become snow covered and icy. Windy conditions are expected Saturday afternoon over west and south west New Mexico.
The peak of the storm appears to be late Saturday night through Sunday morning.
A potent upper level storm system should move NW to SE across the state from the Four Corners Saturday night into Sunday.
Snowfall could start as soon as Saturday afternoon across the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and winter storm warnings have been issued for those areas.
Snowfall should spread SE into the eastern Plains overnight into Sunday morning. Look for any current advisories or watches to possibly be changed to winter storm warnings. The storm system could still make slight changes in its track, which would influence snowfall amounts.
If this system still tracks a little farther south or west than expected, snowfall could increase back over central parts of New Mexico and snowfall amounts could increase over eastern New Mexico with any bands of precipitation that develop. Bands of heavier precipitation are still possible over eastern New Mexico even with its current expected track.
Highest snowfall and greatest travel impacts are expected Saturday night into Sunday morning. Travel impacts may still be felt late on the day Sunday and into Monday depending upon how much snowfall occurs, which may be slow to clear.
- NWS Albuquerque Webpage: www.weather.gov/abq
- NWS Albuquerque Winter Weather: https://www.weather.gov/abq/winter
- Storm Prediction Center: www.spc.noaa.gov
- NWS ABQ Decision Support Dashboard: ArcGIS Online Dashboard
- Hourly Forecasts (Click Your Location): http://forecast.weather.gov/gridpoint.php?site=abq&TypeDefault=graphical