Among the many NNSA achievements in 2017:
- Continued progress on the maintenance of the U.S. nuclear arsenal through Life Extension Programs (LEP) and Alterations (Alt). The W76-1 LEP, W88 Alt 370, B61-12 LEP and W80-4 LEP all achieved significant milestones in 2017.
- Continued progress on reducing the threat of nuclear proliferation and nuclear terrorism. This effort included the removal of highly enriched uranium from research reactors, equipping a border crossing with radiation detection equipment and helping a partner nation open a training center.
- Provided operational and technical expertise to interagency partners during special public events to ensure safety and security from nuclear and radiological threats, including the Presidential Inauguration and Super Bowl LI.
- Continued to provide safe, reliable nuclear power to the U.S. Navy as part of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program and broke ground on a new Naval Spent Fuel Handling Facility.
- Achieved significant milestones in major infrastructure projects as part of a long-term effort to create a modern and more efficient complex that will reduce risk to the mission and improve worker, public and environmental safety. The Albuquerque Complex Project achieved 90 percent design and a support facility for the Uranium Processing Facility project at the Y-12 National Security Complex was completed on time and under budget.