The Los Alamos High School NJROTC competed at the New Mexico State Military Skills Championships April 12 at La Cueva High School.
The events at this competition include Armed and Unarmed Drill, Color Guard, Marksmanship, and Fitness. For the first time, Los Alamos High School finished in the top three with a third place behind the much larger high schools of La Cueva and Albuquerque.
The NJROTC had proven earlier in the year that they were the best “Navy” unit in the State of New Mexico and West Texas by beating all others in a regional competition in February. Now they know how they stack up against the other three services and the 22 schools that competed against them over the weekend.
This is a huge accomplishment for these cadets who work very hard throughout the year in practices while also providing a large amount of community service throughout Los Alamos.
The awards for the teams are as follows:
- 1st Place Armed Drill Team Regulation (STATE CHAMPIONS)
- 1st Place Armed Drill Team Inspection
- 1st Place Precision Marksmanship (Navy Division)
- 2nd Place Sporter Marksmanship (Navy Division)
- 2nd Place Male Color Guard (STATE RUNNER UP)
- 2nd Place Female Color Guard Inspection
- 2nd Place Mixed Color Guard Inspection
- 3rd Place Mixed Color Guard Regulation
- 3rd Place Female Fitness
Individual Awards went to:
- Samuel Wolfe – 1st Place Precision Marksmanship (Kneeling Position)
- Joanna O’Neill – 3rd Place Precision Marksmanship (Standing Position)
- Rosa Durrer – 4th Place Female 800 Meter Run