COLFAX COUNTY – At about 8 a.m. today, New Mexico State Police were informed of a U.S. Postal Service Truck that had been stolen from the Maxwell area.
The stolen vehicle was located by officers traveling south on Interstate 25 near mile post 429, when it turned around and began to head north on Interstate 25. A pursuit was initiated by New Mexico State Police.
Stop sticks were deployed during the pursuit and Pursuit Intervention Techniques were utilized on the vehicle eventually bringing the vehicle to a stop between North 2nd Street and North 1st Street in Raton. The driver, identified as Chanel Eskleson, 34, of Raton, was arrested without further incident. Eskleson was booked into the Colfax County Detention Center.
Colfax County Sheriff’s Department and Raton Police Department assisted with the investigation.
Eskleson was charged with the following charges:
- Unlawful taking of a motor vehicle 30-16-3(A)(1) (4th Degree Felony)
- Burglary of a vehicle 30-16-3(B) (4th Degree Felony)
- Aggravated Battery of a Peace Officer (2 counts) 30-22-25 (C) (3rd Degree Felony)
- Aggravated Assault upon a peace officer 30-22-22 (A)(1) (3rd Degree Felony)
- Aggravated Fleeing Law Enforcement 30-22-01.1 (A) (4th Degree Felony)
- Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon 30-3-5(C) (4th Degree Felony)
- Criminal Damage to Property (Over $1000 (4 counts) 30-15-1 (4th Degree Felony)
- Driving While license suspended 66-5-39 (Misdemeanor)