Host/Commentator Gene Grant
With a new Congress assembling in Washington, D.C. and the upcoming legislative session in Santa Fe, this week NEW MEXICO IN FOCUS talks to key leaders.
• U.S. Sen. Tom Udall, D-N.M., just four years into his first term, is now the senior senator from New Mexico. NMiF producer Matt Grubs speaks with Udall about the fiscal cliff’s real cost to middle class taxpayers and the battle the senator is leading to reform the filibuster in the Senate.
• New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez is already making news with the announcement that she’ll accept a federal offer to expand the state’s Medicaid program. NMiF correspondent Sarah Gustavus talks to the governor about what’s likely to come out of the legislative session and why New Mexico’s economy continues to lag behind the rest of the west and the nation.
New Mexico in Focus airs at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 11 on Ch. 5.1 and repeats at 7 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 13 and 5 p.m. on Ch. 9.1 Saturdays.
• An all-journalist Line panel offers opinions on important legislative narratives that will play out over the next two months, including leadership battles and what issues are likely to gain traction as lawmakers gather for their annual assembly.
The Line Guests:
• Dan Boyd, Albuquerque Journal
• Russ Contreras, Associated Press
• Rob Nikolewski, Capitol Report New Mexico
• Matt Reichbach, New Mexico Telegram
• Matt Grubs, NMiF Producer
• Sarah Gustavus, Executive Producer, Koahnic Broadcast
• Gene Grant