WASHINGTON, D.C. – After 18 months demonstrating bold leadership on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, nearly 2,000 elected and appointed county officials from across the country will come together July 8-12 in Prince George’s County, Md., for the National Association of Counties (NACo) Annual Conference.
Vice President Kamala Harris will headline this year’s conference with remarks scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. EDT, Friday, July 9.
The NACo Annual Conference, the first major in-person conference in Prince George’s County since the pandemic began, will focus on pressing issues facing county governments, including the use of American Rescue Plan Act funding and infrastructure. Attendees will exchange cutting-edge ideas, elect the association’s leadership and shape NACo’s federal policy agenda for the year ahead.
Convention Highlights to include:
Remarks by Vice President Harris:
- Friday, July 9
1 p.m. EDT
Featured General Session Speakers:
- Saturday, July 10
3:45 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. EDT
- Hon. Marcia L. Fudge, U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- John Ondrasik, singer and songwriter, also known as Five for Fighting
- Monday, July 12
9:30 a.m. – 11 a.m. EDT
- Hon. Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Hon. Wally Adeyemo, Deputy Secretary, U.S. Department of the Treasury
Other timely programming includes:
- The County Role in Ensuring Equitable COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Public Health Services (Saturday, July 10, 12:45 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. EDT, National Harbor 2-3)
- Counties for Kids: Strategies for Supporting Young Children and Families (Saturday, July 10, 2:15 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. EDT, National Harbor 2-3)
- Bridging the Gap: Crisis Response as Criminal Justice Diversion (Sunday, July 11, 9:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. EDT, Woodrow Wilson A)
- Large Urban County Caucus (LUCC) / Rural Action Caucus (RAC) (Sunday, July 11, 10:45 a.m. – 12 p.m. EDT, Riverview Ballroom)
- Investing with Equity: How to Ensure All Residents Benefit from Your County’s ARPA Allocation (Sunday, July 11, 2:00 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. EDT, Maryland AC/123)
- Say and Do: Five Strategies for Advancing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in your Community (Sunday, July 11, 2 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. EDT, Annapolis Ballroom)
- County Tools, Challenges & Solutions in Expanding Broadband Access (Sunday, July 11, 5:15 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. EDT, Maryland AC/123)
- Additional workshops will focus on expanding services for communities and families, advancing county health and justice systems, broadband investments and economic recovery for local governments following the COVID-19 pandemic.
The full NACo Annual Conference schedule is available here.
The National Association of Counties (NACo) strengthens America’s counties, including nearly 40,000 county elected officials and 3.6 million county employees. Founded in 1935, NACo unites county officials to advocate for county government priorities in federal policymaking; promote exemplary county policies and practices; nurture leadership skills and expand knowledge networks; optimize county and taxpayer resources and cost savings; and enrich the public’s understanding of county government. www.naco.org