McQuiston: Parents Of College Students – Check Your Coverage Before They Go

The Jemez Agency

My wife and I just sent our oldest child off to UNM for his freshman year. This is the start of many big life changes for everyone, which can also bring a lot of stress and questions.

As a parent, an important question you may not be thinking about is, what insurance coverage does my child have when they go off to college. Are they covered under my homeowners policy? Do they need more coverage?

Many homeowners’ insurance policies provide coverage for your college student while they are away at school. If they are residents of a college dorm, most insurance carriers provide coverage for their personal liability and personal property under the parents’ homeowners’ policy.

Carriers can vary in how much personal property will be covered while away at school or away from home. The industry average for property covered away from the residence is 10 percent of your contents coverage. Keep in mind if a laptop gets stolen, your homeowners deductible applies, just as if it was stolen from your home.

If your child decides to rent an off-campus apartment, it is important to discuss what coverage they have available with your insurance agent as this coverage is dependent on each insurance carrier’s coverage forms. A renter’s policy may be necessary if your students resides off-campus. Though moving off to college is a scary time in life, have peace of mind knowing most insurance companies provide coverage under the homeowners policy for students while they are away at school.  

Check with your insurance professional to make sure you have the proper coverage for your child and their possessions.

LOS ALAMOS website support locally by OviNuppi Systems